Selzentry (Maraviroc Oral Solution)
Generic Name: Maraviroc Oral Solution (mah RAV er rock)
Brand Name: Selzentry
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 24, 2019.
- Liver problems have happened with Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution). Sometimes, these have been life-threatening. An allergic reaction may happen before liver problems. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
Uses of Selzentry:
- It is used to treat HIV infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Selzentry?
- If you have an allergy to maraviroc or any other part of Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have kidney problems. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) if you have certain kidney problems. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you are taking St. John's wort. Do not take St. John's wort with Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution). This medicine may not work as well.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Selzentry?
For all patients taking Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution):
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Do not run out of Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution).
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine interacts with many other drugs. The chance of side effects may be raised or how well Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) works may be lowered. Check with your doctor and pharmacist to make sure that it is safe for you to take Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) with all of your other drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins).
- This medicine is not a cure for HIV. Stay under the care of your doctor.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors.
- This medicine may add to the chance of getting some types of cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- A severe and sometimes deadly reaction has happened. Most of the time, this reaction has signs like fever, rash, or swollen glands with problems in body organs like the liver, kidney, blood, heart, muscles and joints, or lungs. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Heart problems like heart attack have happened with Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution). It is not known if Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) is what caused these effects. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) while you are pregnant.
- If giving Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) to your child and your child's weight changes, talk with the doctor. The dose of Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) may need to be changed.
How is this medicine (Selzentry) best taken?
Use Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- It is important that you do not miss or skip a dose of Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) during treatment.
- Keep taking Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you are not sure what to do if you miss a dose, call your doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Swollen gland.
- Low mood (depression).
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Changes in your immune system can happen when you start taking drugs to treat HIV. If you have an infection that you did not know you had, it may show up when you take Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution). Tell your doctor right away if you have any new signs after you start Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution), even after taking it for several months. This includes signs of infection like fever, sore throat, weakness, cough, or shortness of breath.
What are some other side effects of Selzentry?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain or heartburn.
- Not able to sleep.
- Signs of a common cold.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Selzentry?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- After opening, throw away any part not used after 60 days.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution) is refilled. If you have any questions about Selzentry (maraviroc oral solution), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Selzentry (maraviroc)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: chemokine receptor antagonist
- FDA Approval History