Generic Name: selenium (se-LEE-nee-um)
Brand Name: Examples include Dandrex and Selsun Blue
Selenium lotion is used for:
Treating dandruff and other conditions of the scalp and skin.
Selenium lotion is a cytostatic agent. It works by reducing skin cell growth and inhibiting growth of organisms associated with chronic flaking and itching.
Do NOT use selenium lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in selenium lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using selenium lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with selenium lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with selenium lotion. Because little, if any, of selenium lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if selenium lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use selenium lotion:
Use selenium lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Remove jewelry before using selenium lotion.
- Do not use on broken or inflamed skin or scalp.
- To use selenium lotion on the scalp - Massage 1 or 2 teaspoonfuls of the medicine on the wet scalp. Leave on the scalp for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse scalp thoroughly. Wash hands well after treatment. If you are using selenium lotion before or after bleaching, tinting, or permanent waving of hair, rinse hair for at least 5 minutes in cool running water.
- To use selenium lotion on the skin - Apply a sufficient amount to cover affected areas of the body. Lather well with a small amount of water. Leave the medicine on the skin for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly in the shower. Wash hands well after treatment.
- If you miss a dose of selenium lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use selenium lotion.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not get better within 1 to 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not get selenium lotion in your eyes, or on the inside of your nose or mouth.
- Do not use selenium lotion on broken or blistered skin.
- Do not apply selenium lotion to the genital area. If you get selenium lotion on your genitals, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Selenium lotion may damage jewelry. Remove jewelry before using selenium lotion.
- Selenium lotion should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using selenium lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking selenium lotion.
Possible side effects of selenium lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Hair discoloration (minimized by thorough rinsing); increase in mild hair loss or thinning; oiliness or dryness of hair and scalp.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Selenium lotion may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of selenium lotion:
Store selenium lotion below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Keep selenium lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about selenium lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selenium lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take selenium lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about selenium lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to selenium lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using selenium lotion.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about selenium sulfide topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 11 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents