Generic name: Selenium Capsules and Tablets (se LEE nee um)
Brand name: Oceanic Selenium, Se Aspartate, Se-100, Se-Plus Protein, Selenicaps-200, ...show all 7 brand names.Selenimin, Selenimin-200
Drug class: Minerals and electrolytes
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 18, 2020.
Uses of Se-Plus Protein:
- It is used to help growth and good health.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Se-Plus Protein?
- If you have an allergy to selenium or any other part of Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets).
- If you are allergic to yeast, talk with the doctor.
- If you are allergic to Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets); any part of Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Se-Plus Protein?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Se-Plus Protein) best taken?
Use Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is best if Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets) is taken with a meal.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Se-Plus Protein?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Se-Plus Protein?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Se-Plus Protein (selenium capsules and tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about selenium
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
- Patient Information
- Selenium supplement (Advanced Reading)
- Selenium Capsules and Tablets
- Selenium Injection Solution
- Selenium Oral Drops
- Other brands
- Selenium TR
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.