Scalacort DK shampoo
Generic Name: salicylic acid/sulfur (SAL-i-SIL-ik AS-id/SUL-fur/hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Scalacort DK
Scalacort DK shampoo is used for:
Reducing itching, flaking, irritation, redness, scaling, and swelling associated with dandruff and other skin conditions.
This shampoo is a topical salicylate medicine. It works by causing the skin to swell, soften, and then slough or peel in areas where it is applied.
This lotion is a topical corticosteroid medicine. It works by depressing the formation, release, and activity of different cells and chemicals that cause swelling, redness, and itching.
Do NOT use Scalacort DK shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Scalacort DK shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you
Before using Scalacort DK shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Scalacort DK shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, skin irritation, eczema, diabetes, or poor blood circulation
- if you have a skin infection, thinning of the skin, tuberculosis (TB), a history of a positive TB test, measles, chickenpox, shingles, or have recently had a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Scalacort DK shampoo. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants, (eg, heparin, warfarin), aspirin, methotrexate, or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Scalacort DK shampoo.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Scalacort DK shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Scalacort DK shampoo:
Use Scalacort DK shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake the medicated shampoo and lotion well before each use.
- Wet your hair and shampoo for a full 5 minutes. Rinse and repeat. Be sure to wash your hands after each use.
- Apply a small amount of lotion to the affected area. Gently rub it in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Scalacort DK shampoo.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Scalacort DK shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Scalacort DK shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause serious and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or severe irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use Scalacort DK shampoo as you were told by your doctor or read the package label. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Scalacort DK shampoo may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Scalacort DK shampoo is for external use only. Avoid getting it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on the genitals. If contact with your eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes.
- Be sure to apply Scalacort DK shampoo only to the affected area and not to normal, healthy skin.
- Do not use any other medicines or drying products on your skin unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- This shampoo contains a salicylate, which has been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not use Scalacort DK shampoo on a child or teenager during or after the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- This product has a salicylate and corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a salicylate and/or corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Scalacort DK shampoo for other skin conditions at a later time.
- If this medicated lotion was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Scalacort DK shampoo.
- Scalacort DK shampoo should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Scalacort DK shampoo.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Scalacort DK shampoo while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Scalacort DK shampoo, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Scalacort DK shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne; inflamed hair follicles; mild skin irritation (eg, dryness, peeling, redness, scaling, or stinging).
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); infection; itching, burning, pain, redness, or swelling of the skin not present before using Scalacort DK shampoo; skin thinning and discoloration.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Scalacort DK shampoo may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Scalacort DK shampoo:
Store Scalacort DK shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Scalacort DK shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Scalacort DK shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Scalacort DK shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Scalacort DK shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Scalacort DK shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Scalacort DK shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Scalacort DK shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.