Generic Name: saw palmetto (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Generics only. No brands available.
Saw palmetto is used for:
Urinary problems associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It may also have other uses. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Saw palmetto is an herbal product. It is thought to work by reducing inflammation.
Do NOT use saw palmetto if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in saw palmetto
- you have a history of breast cancer
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using saw palmetto:
Some medical conditions may interact with saw palmetto. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with saw palmetto. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if saw palmetto may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use saw palmetto:
Use saw palmetto as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take this product with food or milk.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- It may take 30 days for saw palmetto to work.
- If you miss taking a dose of saw palmetto for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use saw palmetto.
Important safety information:
- Consult your doctor before taking this product.
- Saw palmetto relieves only the symptoms associated with an enlarged prostate. It does not reduce enlargement.
- Keep all doctor and laboratory appointments while you are taking saw palmetto.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- This product is not recommended for use in CHILDREN.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not take this product if you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while taking this product.
Possible side effects of saw palmetto:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back or stomach pain; change in sex drive; constipation; cramping; diarrhea (with large doses); difficulty urinating; headache; impotence; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine or pale stools; unusual fatigue; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of saw palmetto:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep saw palmetto out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about saw palmetto, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Saw palmetto is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take saw palmetto or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about saw palmetto. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to saw palmetto. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using saw palmetto.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.