Generic Name: guaifenesin/phenylephrine/pyrilamine (gwye-FEN-e-sin/fen-ill-EF-rin/peer-IL-a-meen)
Brand Name: A-Tan 12X and Ryna-12X
Ryna-12X suspension is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ryna-12X suspension is an expectorant, decongestant, and antihistamine combination. The expectorant loosens mucus and lung secretions in the chest and makes coughs more productive. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, making it easier to breathe. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing.
Do NOT use Ryna-12X suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ryna-12X suspension
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ryna-12X suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ryna-12X suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; asthma; lung problems (eg, emphysema); blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ryna-12X suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of Ryna-12X suspension may be increased
- Digoxin or droxidopa because risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because side effects may be increased by Ryna-12X suspension
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because effectiveness may be decreased by Ryna-12X suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ryna-12X suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ryna-12X suspension:
Use Ryna-12X suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ryna-12X suspension may be taken with or without food.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Ryna-12X suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ryna-12X suspension.
Important safety information:
- Ryna-12X suspension may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Ryna-12X suspension. Using Ryna-12X suspension alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Ryna-12X suspension without checking with your doctor.
- Ryna-12X suspension contains phenylephrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains phenylephrine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take Ryna-12X suspension for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Ryna-12X suspension may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Ryna-12X suspension. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Ryna-12X suspension for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Ryna-12X suspension.
- Use Ryna-12X suspension with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Ryna-12X suspension in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Ryna-12X suspension, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ryna-12X suspension during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ryna-12X suspension is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Ryna-12X suspension.
Possible side effects of Ryna-12X suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Ryna-12X suspension:
Store Ryna-12X suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ryna-12X suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ryna-12X suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ryna-12X suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ryna-12X suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ryna-12X suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ryna-12X suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ryna-12X suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ryna-12X (guaifenesin / phenylephrine / pyrilamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
Other brands: A-Tan 12X