Ricobid H suspension
Generic Name: chlorpheniramine (KLOR-fen-IR-a-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include Pediox-S and Ricobid H
Ricobid H suspension is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, sinus pressure, runny nose, watery eyes, itching of the nose and throat, and sneezing due to upper respiratory infections (eg, colds), allergies, and hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ricobid H suspension is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing.
Do NOT use Ricobid H suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ricobid H suspension
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ricobid H suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ricobid H suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma, lung problems (eg, emphysema), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, a blockage of your stomach or intestines, ulcers, a blockage of your bladder, trouble urinating, an enlarged prostate, seizures, or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ricobid H suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Ricobid H suspension's side effects
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Ricobid H suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ricobid H suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ricobid H suspension:
Use Ricobid H suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ricobid H suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Ricobid H suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ricobid H suspension.
Important safety information:
- Ricobid H suspension may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Ricobid H suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Ricobid H suspension may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Ricobid H suspension. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Ricobid H suspension may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Ricobid H suspension for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Ricobid H suspension before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Ricobid H suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Ricobid H suspension in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ricobid H suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Ricobid H suspension.
Possible side effects of Ricobid H suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Ricobid H suspension:
Store Ricobid H suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ricobid H suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ricobid H suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ricobid H suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ricobid H suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ricobid H suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ricobid H suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ricobid H suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ricobid H (chlorpheniramine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines