The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: phenylephrine tannate (fen-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Nasop and Ricobid-D
Ricobid-D suspension is used for:
Relieving congestion due to colds, flu, hay fever, and other allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ricobid-D suspension is a decongestant. It works by shrinking swollen and congested nasal tissues by constricting blood vessels. This results in relief of congestion (stuffy feeling) and improved breathing through the nose.
Do NOT use Ricobid-D suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ricobid-D suspension
- you are taking furazolidone or have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) in the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ricobid-D suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ricobid-D suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, prostate problems, an overactive thyroid, or a tumor on your adrenal gland
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ricobid-D suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine) or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the effectiveness of Ricobid-D suspension may be decreased
- Cocaine, furazolidone, methyldopa, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), oxytocic medicines (eg, oxytocin), rauwolfia derivatives (eg, reserpine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the actions and side effects of Ricobid-D suspension may be increased
- Bromocriptine, COMT inhibitors (eg, entacapone), cocaine, or droxidopa because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
- Guanethidine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Ricobid-D suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ricobid-D suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ricobid-D suspension:
Use Ricobid-D suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ricobid-D suspension may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Ricobid-D suspension and are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ricobid-D suspension.
Important safety information:
- Ricobid-D suspension may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Ricobid-D suspension. Using Ricobid-D suspension alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Ricobid-D suspension.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if you develop a high fever, check with your doctor.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your pharmacist or doctor about the best time to take Ricobid-D suspension.
- Diabetes patients - Ricobid-D suspension may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Use Ricobid-D suspension with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Ricobid-D suspension with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ricobid-D suspension during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ricobid-D suspension is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ricobid-D suspension, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ricobid-D suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Difficulty urinating; dizziness; headache; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; stomach irritation; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; excitement; hallucinations; rapid breathing; rapid heartbeat; seizures; unusual nervousness.Proper storage of Ricobid-D suspension:
Store Ricobid-D suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ricobid-D suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ricobid-D suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ricobid-D suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ricobid-D suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.