Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/methscopolamine (KLOR-fen-IR-a-meen/METH-skoe-POL-a-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include AlleRx DF and RespiVent DF
RespiVent DF is used for:
Relieving sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
RespiVent DF is an antihistamine and anticholinergic combination. It works by blocking a substance in the body that causes sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes. It also dries the nose and chest.
Do NOT use RespiVent DF if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in RespiVent DF
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB), a monamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine), or phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil)
- you have severe heart blood vessel disease, severe high blood pressure, narrow-angle glaucoma, severe bleeding, severe irritation or other serious problems with the esophagus (eg, esophageal achalasia), peptic ulcer, a blockage of the stomach or bowel, bowel motility problems, severe bowel inflammation (eg, ulcerative colitis), or muscle problems (eg, myasthenia gravis)
- you are unable to urinate or you are having an asthma attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using RespiVent DF:
Some medical conditions may interact with RespiVent DF. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a hernia, diabetes, kidney or liver problems, high blood pressure, nerve problems, prostate gland problems, blockage of your bladder, irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure or other heart problems, trouble urinating, sleep apnea, asthma, increased eye pressure, or glaucoma, or you are at risk of developing glaucoma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with RespiVent DF. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticholinergic medicines (eg, benztropine), barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of RespiVent DF's side effects
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of serious side effects, such as high blood pressure or severe drowsiness, may be increased
- Phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil) because the risk of low blood pressure or severe drowsiness, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if RespiVent DF may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use RespiVent DF:
Use RespiVent DF as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take RespiVent DF by mouth with or without food.
- RespiVent DF comes in AM tablets and PM tablets. Take the AM tablet in the morning and the PM tablet in the evening as directed by your doctor. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about how to take RespiVent DF.
- Do not take an antacid or medicine for diarrhea within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take RespiVent DF.
- If you miss a dose of RespiVent DF and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use RespiVent DF.
Important safety information:
- RespiVent DF may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use RespiVent DF with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are taking RespiVent DF; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- RespiVent DF may cause dry mouth. Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- RespiVent DF may reduce sweating. Do not become overheated in hot weather or during exercise or during other activities; heatstroke may occur.
- RespiVent DF may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to RespiVent DF. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- RespiVent DF may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking RespiVent DF.
- Use RespiVent DF with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- RespiVent DF should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using RespiVent DF in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if RespiVent DF can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking RespiVent DF while you are pregnant. RespiVent DF is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking RespiVent DF.
Possible side effects of RespiVent DF:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; change in appetite; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; fast heartbeat; nausea; nervousness; ringing in the ears; stomach upset or pain; sun sensitivity; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating; fainting or feeling faint; fever; flushing; hallucinations; seizures; severe clumsiness; severe drowsiness; shortness of breath; sore throat; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing; extreme dizziness; extreme drowsiness; fixed/large pupils; hot, dry skin; irregular heartbeat; loss of consciousness; mental or mood changes; persistent vomiting; ringing in the ears; seizures.Proper storage of RespiVent DF:
Store RespiVent DF at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep RespiVent DF out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about RespiVent DF, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- RespiVent DF is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take RespiVent DF or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about RespiVent DF. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to RespiVent DF. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using RespiVent DF.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.