Quillivant XR suspension
Generic Name: methylphenidate (METH-il-FEN-i-date)
Brand Name: Quillivant XR
Use Quillivant XR suspension with caution if you have a history of mental or mood problems, or alcohol or substance abuse or dependence. Abuse of Quillivant XR suspension may cause it to not work as well. Abuse may also lead to addiction and mental or mood changes. Do not suddenly stop using Quillivant XR suspension. Depression and other mental problems may occur. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over a period of time if you need to stop using it.
Quillivant XR suspension is used for:
Treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Quillivant XR suspension is a central nervous system stimulant. Exactly how it works is not known.
Do NOT use Quillivant XR suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Quillivant XR suspension
- you have severe anxiety, agitation, or tension
- you have glaucoma
- you have motor tics (involuntary movements), Tourette syndrome, or a family history of Tourette syndrome
- you have serious heart problems (eg, heart defect, irregular heartbeat)
- you are not able to swallow the tablet whole
- you are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) or have taken an MAOI within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Quillivant XR suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Quillivant XR suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had an allergic reaction to dexmethylphenidate
- if you have a history of high blood pressure, heart problems (eg, heart failure, heart defects, fast or irregular heartbeat), blood vessel problems, stroke, or heart attack, or if a family member has a history of any of these problems or sudden death
- if you have a history of seizures or abnormal electroencephalograms (EEGs)
- if you have a history of an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of mood or mental problems (eg, agitation, anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis, tension), abnormal thoughts, hallucinations, suicidal thoughts or attempts, or alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence, or if a family member has a history of any of these problems
- if you have circulation problems in your hands or feet (eg, Raynaud phenomenon, thromboangiitis obliterans)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Quillivant XR suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because severe high blood pressure may occur
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), certain anticonvulsants (eg, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), phenylbutazone, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Quillivant XR suspension
- Medicines for high blood pressure (eg, guanethidine, metoprolol) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Quillivant XR suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Quillivant XR suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Quillivant XR suspension:
Use Quillivant XR suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Quillivant XR suspension comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. It also comes with detailed instructions for use. Read them carefully. Read them again each time you get Quillivant XR suspension refilled.
- Take Quillivant XR suspension by mouth in the morning with or without food.
- Shake the bottle well for at least 10 seconds before each use.
- Use the measuring device that comes with Quillivant XR suspension to measure your dose. If the measuring device is missing or not provided, contact your pharmacist. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Wash the measuring device after each use.
- Take Quillivant XR suspension on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of Quillivant XR suspension, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Quillivant XR suspension.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Quillivant XR suspension before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Quillivant XR suspension may cause dizziness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Quillivant XR suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT change your dose of Quillivant XR suspension without checking with your doctor.
- Quillivant XR suspension should be used as a part of an ADHD treatment program that includes a variety of treatment measures (eg, psychological, educational, social).
- If your condition does not get better within 1 month or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Heart attack, stroke, and sudden death have occurred in adults taking stimulant medicines. Sudden deaths have also occurred in children with heart defects or other serious heart problems. If you have a heart defect or another serious problem, talk with your doctor about other therapies to treat your condition.
- Quillivant XR suspension may cause a prolonged (more than 4 hours) or painful erection. This could happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it could lead to permanent sexual problems such as impotence. Contact your doctor right away if this happens.
- Quillivant XR suspension may cause circulation problems in the hands and feet. Tell your doctor if you have any numbness, pain, tingling, cold feeling, or skin color change (eg, from pale to blue or red) in your hands or feet. Call your doctor right away if you have any unexplained sores or wounds on your fingers or toes.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant in it. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure, heart function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Quillivant XR suspension. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Caution is advised when using Quillivant XR suspension in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially loss of appetite, stomach pain, weight loss, trouble sleeping, and fast heartbeat.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Quillivant XR suspension while you are pregnant. Quillivant XR suspension is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Quillivant XR suspension.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Quillivant XR suspension may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Quillivant XR suspension stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Quillivant XR suspension for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. Do not suddenly stop taking Quillivant XR suspension. If you do, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include depression or other mental problems. If you need to stop Quillivant XR suspension, your doctor will lower your dose over time.
Possible side effects of Quillivant XR suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; dry mouth; indigestion; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; stomach pain; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight loss.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; joint pain; purple or brownish red spots on the skin; unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision problems; chest, jaw, or arm pain; confusion; dark urine; decreased urination; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; muscle pain or weakness; new or worsening mental, mood, or behavior changes (eg, abnormal thoughts, aggression, agitation, anxiety, depression, hostility, irritability, panic attacks, persistent crying, restlessness, unusual sadness); one-sided weakness; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness or headache; shortness of breath; slurred speech; sudden, severe nausea or vomiting; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; uncontrolled speech or muscle movements; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual sweating; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Quillivant XR suspension:
Store Quillivant XR suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store the bottle upright, away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any unused medicine after 4 months. Keep Quillivant XR suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Quillivant XR suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Quillivant XR suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Quillivant XR suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Quillivant XR suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Quillivant XR suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Quillivant XR suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Quillivant XR (methylphenidate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 14 Reviews – Add your own review/rating