Generic Name: beclomethasone (BE-kloe-METH-a-sone)
Brand Name: Qnasl
Qnasl aerosol is used for:
Treating nasal allergy symptoms. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Qnasl aerosol is a corticosteroid. It works by reducing nasal inflammation caused by allergens in the air.
Do NOT use Qnasl aerosol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Qnasl aerosol
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Qnasl aerosol:
Some medical conditions may interact with Qnasl aerosol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a herpes infection in the eye or any other bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic infection
- if you have active or inactive tuberculosis (TB), or if you have ever had a positive TB skin test
- if you have recently had a sore on the nasal septum (the wall between your nostrils), other nasal sores, nasal surgery, or a nasal injury
- if you or a family member has had cataracts, increased pressure in the eyes, or glaucoma
- if you have not had chickenpox or measles and you have not been vaccinated against them
- if you have a very runny nose
- if you are taking other corticosteroid medicines (eg, prednisone)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Qnasl aerosol. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines.
Ask your health care provider if Qnasl aerosol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Qnasl aerosol:
Use Qnasl aerosol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Qnasl aerosol comes with an additional patient leaflet, including detailed instructions for use of Qnasl aerosol. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Qnasl aerosol is only for the nose.
- Before using Qnasl aerosol for the first time, you must prime the device. Do not prime the device every day. To prime Qnasl aerosol, remove the protective dust cap from the device. Hold the device upright between your thumb and forefinger (the canister should be on top, pointing down). Spray 4 times into the air, away from your eyes and face. After the first priming, the dose counter should read 120.
- If Qnasl aerosol has not been used in more than 7 days, re-prime it by spraying 2 times.
- Clear your nose before using Qnasl aerosol by blowing it gently.
- To use Qnasl aerosol, remove the cap from the device.
- Tilt your head forward slightly. Carefully insert the tip of the spray container into one nostril, keeping the bottle upright. Point the tip slightly away from the nasal septum (wall between your nostrils). Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close it off.
- Hold your breath and squeeze the spray container to release 1 spray. Continue to hold your breath for 5 seconds, then breathe out slowly through your mouth. Remove the device from your nostril.
- Repeat these steps in the same nostril or in your other nostril as directed by your health care provider.
- Do not spray Qnasl aerosol directly onto the nasal septum (the wall between your nostrils).
- Do not blow your nose for 15 minutes after using Qnasl aerosol.
- Wipe the nasal tip with a clean, dry tissue or cloth after use. Keep the device clean and dry at all times. Always replace the cap when finished.
- Throw the bottle away after 120 sprays (not counting the 4 sprays used to prime the device). Do not use Qnasl aerosol after the device reads 0. You may no longer receive the correct amount of medicine with each spray. Do not transfer any remaining medicine to another bottle.
- Do not use this device with a canister of medicine from any other inhaler. Do not use the canister with a device from any other inhaler. Do not remove the canister from the device.
- Use Qnasl aerosol on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using Qnasl aerosol at the same time each day will help you remember to use it.
- If you miss a dose of Qnasl aerosol, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Qnasl aerosol.
Important safety information:
- Qnasl aerosol is for use in the nose only. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Qnasl aerosol. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does. Tell your doctor right away if you are exposed to anyone who has these infections.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive a vaccine while you are using Qnasl aerosol.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Qnasl aerosol.
- Qnasl aerosol should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Qnasl aerosol while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Qnasl aerosol, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Qnasl aerosol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; mild nasal discomfort.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; skin redness or swelling; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness; wheezing); loss of taste or smell; nasal irritation; nosebleeds or soreness; redness or white-colored patches in your mouth or throat; severe or persistent nasal discomfort; shortness of breath; symptoms of infection (eg, fever; chills; aches; sore throat; unusual tiredness, nausea, or vomiting); vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Qnasl aerosol:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in an upright position. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze. Do not expose the container to temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Contents are under pressure. Do not use or store near heat or open flame. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister, even if it appears to be empty. Keep Qnasl aerosol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Qnasl aerosol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Qnasl aerosol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Qnasl aerosol or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Qnasl aerosol. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Qnasl aerosol. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Qnasl aerosol.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about QNASL (beclomethasone nasal)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nasal steroids