Pyrithione zinc conditioner
Generic Name: pyrithione zinc (PIR-i-THYE-one zink)
Brand Name: Selsun Blue Conditioner
Pyrithione zinc conditioner is used for:
Treating and preventing flaking, itching, and scaling of the scalp caused by dandruff or seborrhea (crusting, oily, or scaling skin). It also moisturizes dry hair.
Pyrithione zinc conditioner is an antiseborrheic. It works by slowing the production of skin cells, which helps to reduce flakiness.
Do NOT use pyrithione zinc conditioner if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in pyrithione zinc conditioner
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if this applies to you.
Before using pyrithione zinc conditioner:
Some medical conditions may interact with pyrithione zinc conditioner. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with pyrithione zinc conditioner. Because little, if any, of pyrithione zinc conditioner is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if pyrithione zinc conditioner may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use pyrithione zinc conditioner:
Use pyrithione zinc conditioner as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply pyrithione zinc conditioner to wet hair as directed after you shampoo. Rinse well.
- For best results, use pyrithione zinc conditioner at least 2 times per week or as directed by your doctor. Do not use more often than once daily.
- If you miss a dose of pyrithione zinc conditioner, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use pyrithione zinc conditioner.
Important safety information:
- Pyrithione zinc conditioner is for external use only. Do not get pyrithione zinc conditioner in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get pyrithione zinc conditioner in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- If your symptoms do not get better with regular use or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Use of pyrithione zinc conditioner is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using pyrithione zinc conditioner while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use pyrithione zinc conditioner, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of pyrithione zinc conditioner:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with pyrithione zinc conditioner. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Pyrithione zinc conditioner may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of pyrithione zinc conditioner:
Store pyrithione zinc conditioner at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep pyrithione zinc conditioner out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about pyrithione zinc conditioner, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pyrithione zinc conditioner is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about pyrithione zinc conditioner. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.