Pyrethrins/ piperonyl foam
Generic Name: pyrethrins/piperonyl (pye-REE-thrins/pye-PEER-i-nil)
Brand Name: RID
Pyrethrins/ piperonyl foam is used for:
Treating head, pubic (crab), or body lice.
Pyrethrins/piperonyl foam is a pediculicide combination. It works by interfering with the nerves of the lice, which causes death of the lice.
Do NOT use pyrethrins/ piperonyl foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in pyrethrins/piperonyl foam
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using pyrethrins/ piperonyl foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with pyrethrins/piperonyl foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances, including ragweed
- if you have a skin infection or skin irritation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with pyrethrins/piperonyl foam. Because little, if any, of pyrethrins/piperonyl foam is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if pyrethrins/piperonyl foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use pyrethrins/ piperonyl foam:
Use pyrethrins/piperonyl foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pyrethrins/piperonyl foam is for external use only. Pyrethrins/piperonyl foam is not to be used for lice in the eyebrows or eyelashes. Contact a doctor if lice are present in these areas.
- Shake well before use.
- Use pyrethrins/piperonyl foam on dry hair.
- Apply to the affected area until all hair is completely wet. Allow pyrethrins/piperonyl foam to remain on the affected area for no more than 10 minutes. Add sufficient warm water to form a lather and shampoo as usual. Rinse completely. Close eyes tightly and protect them with a washcloth or towel when rinsing pyrethrins/piperonyl foam out of the hair.
- Use a fine-toothed comb to remove dead lice or eggs (nits) from hair.
- Check daily for any lice or eggs that you missed.
- Repeat this treatment in 7 to 10 days to kill any newly hatched lice.
- If infestation continues, contact a doctor for other treatments.
- If you miss a dose of pyrethrins/piperonyl foam, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use pyrethrins/piperonyl foam.
Important safety information:
- Do not get pyrethrins/piperonyl foam in your eyes, vagina, nose, or mouth. If you get pyrethrins/piperonyl foam in your eyes, flush them with cool tap water.
- Do not inhale pyrethrins/piperonyl foam. Use pyrethrins/piperonyl foam in a well-ventilated area.
- All hats, scarves, coats, clothes, underwear, and bed linens should be dry cleaned or washed in hot water and dried on the hot cycle of the dryer for at least 20 minutes. Hair combs and brushes should also be cleaned in hot water.
- All members of the household should be examined for the presence of lice and treated if lice are found.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using pyrethrins/piperonyl foam during pregnancy. It is unknown if pyrethrins/piperonyl foam is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using pyrethrins/piperonyl foam, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of pyrethrins/ piperonyl foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the proper use of pyrethrins/piperonyl foam. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); eye irritation; infection; persistent skin or scalp irritation; skin tenderness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coughing; diarrhea; difficulty breathing; headache; nausea; unusual dizziness or drowsiness; vomiting.Proper storage of pyrethrins/piperonyl foam:
Store pyrethrins/piperonyl foam at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not store at temperatures above 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Keep pyrethrins/piperonyl foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about pyrethrins/piperonyl foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pyrethrins/piperonyl foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take pyrethrins/piperonyl foam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about pyrethrins/piperonyl foam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to pyrethrins/piperonyl foam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using pyrethrins/piperonyl foam.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about piperonyl butoxide/pyrethrins topical
- Pyrethrins/piperonyl gel
- Pyrethrins/piperonyl shampoo
- Piperonyl butoxide and pyrethrins topical
- Pyrethrum extract and piperonyl butoxide Topical (Advanced Reading)