The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder
Generic Name: budesonide (byoo-DESS-oh-nide)
Brand Name: Pulmicort Turbuhaler
Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again.
Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder is used for:
Preventing asthma in adults and children 6 years of age or older. It may also be used in patients who require oral corticosteroid medicine. It is not used to relieve an asthma attack. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder is an inhaled corticosteroid. It works by decreasing the irritation and swelling of the breathing tubes (bronchioles) of the lung to control or prevent asthma symptoms.
Do NOT use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder
- you are having an acute asthma attack
- you are taking mifepristone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma; cataracts; a herpes eye infection; a bacterial, fungal, parasitic, or viral infection; diarrhea; measles; tuberculosis; chicken pox; or shingles
- if you have had a positive TB skin test or have recently been vaccinated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or rifampin because they may decrease Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder's effectiveness
- Clarithromycin, steroidal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills), or imidazole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole) because they may increase the risk of Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder's side effects
- Ritodrine or live vaccines because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder
- Mifepristone because risk of side effects may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder:
Use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder must be inhaled through the mouth. Do not breathe out through the inhaler.
- Before using, prime the inhaler by holding the unit in an upright position and turning the grip fully to the right, then fully to the left until it clicks.
- Do not shake the inhaler.
- While inhaling, hold the inhaler in an upright position (mouthpiece on top) during loading in order to provide the correct dose. Place the mouthpiece between your lips and inhale forcefully and deeply.
- Rinse the mouth with water (without swallowing) after each use to help prevent mouth or throat infections.
- Do not bite or chew the mouthpiece.
- Even though you do not sense or taste the powder, you should still be getting the right dose.
- Improvement in asthma control can occur within 24 hours of beginning treatment; the maximum effect of Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder may take as long as 1 to 2 weeks, or longer. If symptoms do not improve within that period of time, contact your health care provider.
- Do not use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder with a spacer.
- Keep the inhaler clean and dry at all times.
- If you miss a dose of Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder.
Important safety information:
- It may take several days for Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder to work. Do not stop using Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder without checking with your doctor.
- Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder will not stop an asthma attack. Always carry appropriate medicine (eg, bronchodilator inhaler) in case you have an asthma attack. Contact your doctor immediately if your bronchodilator does not help you to breathe normally.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Carry an ID card at all times that says you take Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, measles, mumps) while you are taking Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Lab tests, including adrenal function assessment, may be performed while you use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder.
- Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old. Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN 6 to 17 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder while you are pregnant. It is unknown if Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
If symptoms of WITHDRAWAL occur when switching from an oral medicine to an inhaled one (muscle and joint pain, exhaustion; depression), contact your health care provider at once.
Possible side effects of Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste in mouth; back pain; cough; fever; headache; hoarseness; indigestion; nausea; pain; throat irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); ear infection; fainting; increased wheezing; infection (fever, chills, sore throat); mental/mood changes; severe dizziness; shortness of breath after using Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder; sinus infection; sudden weight loss; tightness in the lungs; vomiting; white patches in mouth or on throat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Store Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 to 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and direct sunlight. Replace the cover after each use. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Pulmicort Turbuhaler powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.