Prohist LQ liquid
Generic Name: phenylephrine/triprolidine (FEN-il-EF-rin/trye-PROE-li-deen)
Brand Name: Prohist LQ
Prohist LQ liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving symptoms of hay fever, allergies, or the common cold, including nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and itchy or watery eyes. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Prohist LQ liquid is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, relieving congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Prohist LQ liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Prohist LQ liquid
- you have severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking droxidopa or sodium oxybate (GHB), or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Prohist LQ liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Prohist LQ liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of an adrenal gland problem (eg, adrenal gland tumor); a heart problem (eg, cor pulmonale; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart disease); high blood pressure; diabetes; a blood vessel problem; a stroke; glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; seizures; or a thyroid problem
- if you have a history of asthma or other breathing problems, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or trouble breathing when you sleep (sleep apnea)
- if you have a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or bowels; ulcers; trouble sleeping; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Prohist LQ liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or a heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Prohist LQ liquid's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Prohist LQ liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Prohist LQ liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Prohist LQ liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Prohist LQ liquid:
Use Prohist LQ liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take medicine by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Prohist LQ liquid and are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prohist LQ liquid.
Important safety information:
- Prohist LQ liquid may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Prohist LQ liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Prohist LQ liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Prohist LQ liquid.
- Diabetes patients - Prohist LQ liquid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Prohist LQ liquid has a decongestant/antihistamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant or antihistamine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Prohist LQ liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days, if they get worse, if they occur along with a fever, or if new symptoms occur, check with your doctor.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your pharmacist or doctor about the best time of day to take Prohist LQ liquid.
- Prohist LQ liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Prohist LQ liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Prohist LQ liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Prohist LQ liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Prohist LQ liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Prohist LQ liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Prohist LQ liquid is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years without first checking with the child's doctor.
- Caution is advised when using Prohist LQ liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of taking Prohist LQ liquid while you are pregnant. Prohist LQ liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take Prohist LQ liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Prohist LQ liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability (especially in children); headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; seizure; severe dizziness, drowsiness, light-headedness, or headache; severe nervousness or anxiety; tremors; unusual weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bluish colored skin; blurred vision; confusion; dilated pupils; fever; flushing; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; severe excitability; sweating; tremors; unusually fast, slow, or irregular breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Prohist LQ liquid:
Store Prohist LQ liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Prohist LQ liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Prohist LQ liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Prohist LQ liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Prohist LQ liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Prohist LQ liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Prohist LQ liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Prohist LQ liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Prohist LQ (phenylephrine / triprolidine)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations