Generic Name: progesterone (pro-JESS-ter-ohn)
Brand Name: Prochieve
Prochieve gel is used for:
Treating certain women who do not menstruate. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Prochieve gel is a hormone. It works by changing the lining of the uterus.
Do NOT use Prochieve gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Prochieve gel
- you have cancer of the breast, ovary, lining of the uterus, cervix, or vagina; a history of blood clots or clotting problems; vaginal bleeding of unknown cause; or liver disease; or you have had a stroke, a recent miscarriage, or bleeding in the brain
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Prochieve gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Prochieve gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart or blood vessel problems, bleeding problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or lipid levels, diabetes, kidney problems, asthma, migraine headaches, or lupus
- if you have a history of seizures, depression or other mental/mood problems, cancer, or tobacco use
- if you have a family history of blood clots
- if you are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Prochieve gel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Rifampin because it may decrease Prochieve gel's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Prochieve gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Prochieve gel:
Use Prochieve gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Prochieve gel. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Review the patient insert for proper preparation and use of the vaginal applicator.
- If you miss a dose of Prochieve gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prochieve gel.
Important safety information:
- Prochieve gel may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Prochieve gel with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Prochieve gel may cause dark skin patches on your face. Exposure to the sun may make these patches darker. If patches develop, use a sunscreen or protective clothing when exposed to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths.
- Do not use Prochieve gel at the same time as other vaginal therapy without checking with your doctor. If other vaginal therapy is to be used, administer it 6 or more hours before or after Prochieve gel, unless advised otherwise by your health care provider.
- Prochieve gel may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Diabetes patients - Prochieve gel may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including monthly breast self-exams, yearly breast exams, Pap smears, and pelvic exams, may be performed while you use Prochieve gel. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Prochieve gel should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Prochieve gel while you are pregnant. Prochieve gel is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Prochieve gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Prochieve gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Breast enlargement; breast pain; changes in sex drive; constipation; cramps; depression; diarrhea; difficult or painful sexual intercourse; drowsiness; fatigue; fluid retention/bloating; headache; increased appetite; joint pain; nausea; nervousness; pain around vaginal area; sleep disorder; urination at night; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal vaginal bleeding; breast lumps; calf/leg pain or tenderness; change in emotions, mood, or behavior; chest pain; coughing blood; dizziness; fainting; inflammation of the eye; numbness of arm or leg; one-sided weakness; pain in the groin; partial or complete loss of vision; seizure; stomach pain, swelling, or tenderness; sudden, severe headache, vomiting, dizziness, or fainting; sudden shortness of breath; swelling of hands, ankles, or feet; tremor; unusual vaginal discharge or odor; vaginal itching; visual or speech disturbances; weakness or numbness in an arm or leg; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Prochieve gel:
Store Prochieve gel at room temperature, below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Prochieve gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Prochieve gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Prochieve gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Prochieve gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Prochieve gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Prochieve gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Prochieve gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Prochieve (progesterone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: progestins