Generic Name: sodium fluoride (SO-dee-um FLOR-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Listermint and PreviDent
PreviDent rinse is used for:
Preventing dental caries.
PreviDent rinse is a fluoride rinse. It works by strengthening the teeth and decreasing the effects of acid and bacteria on the teeth.
Do NOT use PreviDent rinse if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in PreviDent rinse
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using PreviDent rinse:
Some medical conditions may interact with PreviDent rinse. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with PreviDent rinse. However, no specific interactions with PreviDent rinse are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if PreviDent rinse may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use PreviDent rinse:
Use PreviDent rinse as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use PreviDent rinse at bedtime after brushing your teeth. Measure the prescribed dose and swish between your teeth for 1 minute, then spit out, unless directed otherwise by your doctor. Do not eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes after using PreviDent rinse.
- If you miss a dose of PreviDent rinse, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use PreviDent rinse.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the dose recommended by your doctor or dentist.
- Notify your dentist if your teeth become spotted or stained.
- PreviDent rinse is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking PreviDent rinse, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using PreviDent rinse while pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using PreviDent rinse, check with your doctor. Discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of PreviDent rinse:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with PreviDent rinse. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; extreme thirst; increased drooling; muscle weakness; nausea; paleness of the skin; seizures; shallow, rapid breathing; shaking; stomach pain; vomiting; weak or fast heartbeat.Proper storage of PreviDent rinse:
Store PreviDent rinse at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep PreviDent rinse out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about PreviDent rinse, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- PreviDent rinse is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take PreviDent rinse or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about PreviDent rinse. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to PreviDent rinse. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using PreviDent rinse.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.