Prevacid powder packetPronunciation
Generic Name: lansoprazole (lan-SOE-pra-zole)
Brand Name: Prevacid
Prevacid powder packet is used for:
Preventing or treating certain types of ulcers. It is also used to treat symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) (eg, heartburn) and irritation of the esophagus. It is also used to treat conditions that cause your body to make too much stomach acid (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Prevacid powder packet is a proton pump inhibitor. It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Do NOT use Prevacid powder packet if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Prevacid powder packet
- you are taking an HIV protease inhibitor (eg, atazanavir)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Prevacid powder packet:
Some medical conditions may interact with Prevacid powder packet. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have low blood potassium or magnesium levels, liver problems, or stomach or bowel cancer
- if you have osteoporosis (weak bones), a family history of osteoporosis, or other risk factors of osteoporosis (eg, smoking, poor nutrition)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Prevacid powder packet. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) because the risk of low blood magnesium levels may be increased
- Clarithromycin or voriconazole because they may increase the risk of Prevacid powder packet's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin, or tacrolimus because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Prevacid powder packet
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), clopidogrel, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, atazanavir), iron, or theophylline because their effectiveness may be decreased by Prevacid powder packet
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Prevacid powder packet may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Prevacid powder packet:
Use Prevacid powder packet as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Prevacid powder packet by mouth on an empty stomach before eating.
- Place 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of water in a small cup. Do NOT use other liquids or foods. Empty the contents of the packet into the cup, stir well, and drink at once. Do not store the mixture for use at a later time. If any of the mixture remains in the cup, refill with water, stir, and drink at once.
- You may take antacids while you are using Prevacid powder packet if you are directed to do so by your doctor.
- If you are also taking an imidazole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), take it at least 2 hours before taking Prevacid powder packet.
- If you also take sucralfate, take Prevacid powder packet at least 30 minutes before taking sucralfate.
- Do not take Prevacid powder packet through an enteral tube (eg, g-tube, ng-tube). If you must take your medicines through an enteral tube, discuss your dosing options with your doctor.
- Continue to take Prevacid powder packet even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Prevacid powder packet, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prevacid powder packet.
Important safety information:
- Prevacid powder packet may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Prevacid powder packet with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Contact your doctor if you have any symptoms of a bleeding ulcer, such as black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds; or if you experience throat pain, chest pain, severe stomach pain, or trouble swallowing.
- Prevacid powder packet may increase the risk of hip, wrist, and spine fractures in patients with weak bones (osteoporosis). The risk may be greater if you use Prevacid powder packet in high doses, for long periods of time, or if you are over 50 years old. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Contact your doctor if you have any questions about this information.
- Low blood magnesium levels have been reported rarely in patients taking PPIs for at least 3 months. In most cases, this effect was seen after a year of treatment. If you will be taking Prevacid powder packet for a long time, or if you take certain other medicines (eg, digoxin, diuretics), your doctor may perform lab tests to check for low blood magnesium levels. Seek medical attention right away if you experience symptoms of low blood magnesium levels (eg, dizziness; fast or irregular heartbeat; involuntary muscle movements; jitteriness or tremors; muscle aches, cramps, pain, spasms, or weakness; seizures).
- Check with your doctor to see whether you should take a calcium and vitamin D supplement while you use Prevacid powder packet.
- Prevacid powder packet may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Prevacid powder packet.
- Prevacid powder packet should be used with caution in Asian patients; the risk of side effects may be increased in these patients.
- Use Prevacid powder packet with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially hip, wrist, and spine fractures.
- Prevacid powder packet should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 1 year old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Prevacid powder packet while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Prevacid powder packet.
Possible side effects of Prevacid powder packet:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; headache; nausea; stomach pain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bone pain; chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Prevacid powder packet:
Store Prevacid powder packet at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Prevacid powder packet out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Prevacid powder packet, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Prevacid powder packet is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Prevacid powder packet. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Prevacid (lansoprazole)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 52 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: proton pump inhibitors