Preparation H Totables
Generic Name: Phenylephrine and Pramoxine (fen il EF rin) and (pra MOKS een)
Brand Name: Preparation H Totables, Preparation H
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 3, 2020.
Uses of Preparation H Totables:
- It is used to treat signs of hemorrhoids or rectal irritation.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Preparation H Totables?
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Preparation H Totables); any part of this medicine (Preparation H Totables); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Preparation H Totables) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Preparation H Totables?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Preparation H Totables). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use more than told. Unsafe side effects may happen.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine (Preparation H Totables) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Preparation H Totables) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Preparation H Totables) best taken?
Use this medicine (Preparation H Totables) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine is for rectal use only. Do not take this medicine (Preparation H Totables) by mouth.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Do not put this medicine (Preparation H Totables) into the rectum by using your fingers or any type of applicator. Follow what the doctor has told you to do.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use this medicine (Preparation H Totables) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Preparation H Totables) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
- Very bad rectal irritation.
What are some other side effects of Preparation H Totables?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Rectal irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Preparation H Totables?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Preparation H Totables), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about phenylephrine / pramoxine topical
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.