Generic Name: prenatal multivitamins with minerals and folic acid (pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins/MIN-er-als/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Folbecal and Premesis Rx
Premesis Rx is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy, and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Do NOT use Premesis Rx if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Premesis Rx
- you have high blood calcium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Premesis Rx:
Some medical conditions may interact with Premesis Rx. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including soy products)
- if you have a history of bowel problems (eg, bowel blockage), certain blood disorders (eg, megaloblastic anemia, pernicious anemia), high calcium levels in the urine, kidney problems, kidney stones, peptic ulcer, sarcoidosis, or parathyroid gland problems
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Premesis Rx. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Premesis Rx
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) or mycophenolate because their effectiveness may be decreased by Premesis Rx
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Premesis Rx may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Premesis Rx:
Use Premesis Rx as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Premesis Rx by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Premesis Rx with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you also take an azole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), bisphosphonate (eg, etidronate), cation exchange resin (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), cephalosporin (eg, cefdinir), iron, quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracycline (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormone (eg, levothyroxine), ask your doctor how you should take it with Premesis Rx.
- If you miss a dose of Premesis Rx, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Premesis Rx.
Important safety information:
- Do not take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use Premesis Rx unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Premesis Rx before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Premesis Rx has folic acid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it also has folic acid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Premesis Rx should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
Possible side effects of Premesis Rx:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Premesis Rx. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent constipation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; diarrhea; headache; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; mental or mood changes; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Premesis Rx:
Store Premesis Rx at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Premesis Rx out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Premesis Rx, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Premesis Rx is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Premesis Rx or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Premesis Rx. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Premesis Rx. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Premesis Rx.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Premesis Rx (multivitamin, prenatal)
- Side Effects
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: iron products