The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Pramasone E cream
Generic Name: hydrocortisone/pramoxine (HYE-droe-KOR-ti-sone/pram-OX-een)
Brand Name: Examples include Pramasone and Pramasone E
Pramasone E cream is used for:
Treating inflammation and itching caused by certain skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pramasone E cream is a combination topical corticosteroid and local anesthetic. Exactly how it works is not known. It reduces skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation). It also decreases pain in the affected area.
Do NOT use Pramasone E cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pramasone E cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pramasone E cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pramasone E cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles, tuberculosis (TB), chickenpox, or shingles; or have had a positive TB test
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pramasone E cream. Because little, if any, of Pramasone E cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Pramasone E cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pramasone E cream:
Use Pramasone E cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Pramasone E cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or cover the treated skin area unless directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Pramasone E cream, apply it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not apply 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pramasone E cream.
Important safety information:
- Pramasone E cream is for external use only. Do not get Pramasone E cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse immediately with cool water.
- If Pramasone E cream is applied to the diaper area, apply a very small amount and do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while using Pramasone E cream.
- Do not use Pramasone E cream for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Pramasone E cream has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Pramasone E cream is absorbed through the skin. This may be more likely to occur if you use Pramasone E cream over a large area of the body. It may also be more likely if you wrap or bandage the area after you apply Pramasone E cream. The risk is greater in children. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Caution is advised when using Pramasone E cream in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Pramasone E cream.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pramasone E cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Pramasone E cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Pramasone E cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Pramasone E cream; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Pramasone E cream:
Store Pramasone E cream at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pramasone E cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pramasone E cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pramasone E cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Pramasone E cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Pramasone E cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Pramasone E cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Pramasone E cream.