Povidone/ iodine shampoo
Generic Name: povidone/iodine (POE-vi-done/EYE-oh-dine)
Brand Name: Betadine
Povidone/ iodine shampoo is used for:
Cleansing the hair and scalp to reduce the risk of infection.
Povidone/iodine shampoo is an antiseptic combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use povidone/ iodine shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in povidone/iodine shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using povidone/ iodine shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with povidone/iodine shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have serious burns or deep puncture wounds
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with povidone/iodine shampoo. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if povidone/iodine shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use povidone/ iodine shampoo:
Use povidone/iodine shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use povidone/iodine shampoo on the scalp, massage 1 or 2 teaspoonfuls into the wet scalp. Leave on the scalp for up to 10 minutes. Rinse the scalp thoroughly. Wash your hands well after using povidone/iodine shampoo.
- If you miss a dose of povidone/iodine shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use povidone/iodine shampoo.
Important safety information:
- If you have had a severe allergic reaction to povidone/iodine shampoo or a medicine that contains iodine, contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately. A severe allergic reaction includes a severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, or dizziness. If you have questions about whether you are allergic to povidone/iodine shampoo or if a certain medicine contains iodine, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you experience a skin rash, hives, or itching, or any other unusual reaction after using this product, discontinue use and contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- Povidone/iodine shampoo is for external use only. Do not get povidone/iodine shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not use povidone/iodine shampoo over large areas of the body or for more than 1 week unless advised to do so by your doctor.
- Contact your doctor before using povidone/iodine shampoo on serious burns, deep wounds, or puncture wounds.
- Use povidone/iodine shampoo with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking povidone/iodine shampoo, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using povidone/iodine shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if povidone/iodine shampoo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using povidone/iodine shampoo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of povidone/ iodine shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); worsening of your condition.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of povidone/iodine shampoo:
Store povidone/iodine shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep povidone/iodine shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about povidone/iodine shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Povidone/iodine shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about povidone/iodine shampoo. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about povidone iodine topical
- Side Effects
- Pricing & Coupons
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides
- Povidone/iodine aerosol solution
- Povidone/iodine cream
- Povidone/iodine douche
- Povidone/iodine pads
- Povidone/iodine solution