Generic Name: polymyxin b sulfate/trimethoprim (POL-ee-MIX-in/trye-METH-oh-prim)
Brand Name: Polytrim
Polytrim solution is used for:
Treating eye infections caused by certain bacteria.
Polytrim solution is an antibiotic combination. It works by killing the bacteria.
Do NOT use Polytrim solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Polytrim solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Polytrim solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Polytrim solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Polytrim solution. Because little, if any, of Polytrim solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Polytrim solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Polytrim solution:
Use Polytrim solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use Polytrim solution in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Polytrim solution. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- If you miss a dose of Polytrim solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Polytrim solution.
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use Polytrim solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Polytrim solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If redness, irritation, swelling, or pain continues or worsens, check with your doctor.
- Polytrim solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Polytrim solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Polytrim solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Polytrim solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); eyelid swelling; increased or persistent redness, irritation, swelling, pain, or tearing of the eye.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Polytrim solution:
Store Polytrim solution between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Polytrim solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Polytrim solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Polytrim solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Polytrim solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Polytrim solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Polytrim solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Polytrim solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Polytrim (polymyxin b / trimethoprim ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability