The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Poly Tan DM suspension
Generic Name: phenylephrine/dexbrompheniramine/dextromethorphan/pyrilamine (FEN-il-EF-rin/DEX-brome-fen-IR-a-meen/DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/pir-IL-a-meen)
Brand Name: Poly Tan DM
Poly Tan DM suspension is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose or throat, itchy or watery eyes, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Poly Tan DM suspension is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Poly Tan DM suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Poly Tan DM suspension
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take droxidopa, sodium oxybate (GHB), or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Poly Tan DM suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Poly Tan DM suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor), heart problems (eg, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart disease), high or low blood pressure, low blood volume, diabetes, blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel ulcers; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or bowel; kidney problems; trouble urinating; or an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Poly Tan DM suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, citalopram, fluoxetine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Poly Tan DM suspension's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Poly Tan DM suspension
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Poly Tan DM suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Poly Tan DM suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Poly Tan DM suspension:
Use Poly Tan DM suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Poly Tan DM suspension by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Poly Tan DM suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Poly Tan DM suspension.
Important safety information:
- Poly Tan DM suspension may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Poly Tan DM suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Poly Tan DM suspension; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Poly Tan DM suspension without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant, antihistamine, or cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Poly Tan DM suspension for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days, if they get worse, or if they occur along with a fever, check with your doctor.
- Poly Tan DM suspension may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Poly Tan DM suspension. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Poly Tan DM suspension may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Poly Tan DM suspension for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Poly Tan DM suspension before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Use Poly Tan DM suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth, nervousness, sleeplessness, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Poly Tan DM suspension in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Poly Tan DM suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Poly Tan DM suspension while you are pregnant. Some ingredients of Poly Tan DM suspension are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Poly Tan DM suspension.
Possible side effects of Poly Tan DM suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mental or mood changes (eg, depression); seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe dryness of mouth, nose, and throat; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision problems (eg, double vision, severe or persistent blurred vision).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; flushing; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; muscle spasms; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; trouble breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Poly Tan DM suspension:
Store Poly Tan DM suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Poly Tan DM suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Poly Tan DM suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Poly Tan DM suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Poly Tan DM suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Poly Tan DM suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Poly Tan DM suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Poly Tan DM suspension.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.