The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: neomycin/polymyxin b/prednisolone (NEE-oh-MYE-sin/POL-ee-MIX-in/pred-NIS-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Poly-Pred
Poly-Pred drops are used for:
Treating infections and relieving the redness, irritation, and discomfort associated with certain eye problems.
Poly-Pred drops are an antibiotic and steroid combination. It works by inhibiting the growth of bacteria and decreasing inflammation.
Do NOT use Poly-Pred drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Poly-Pred drops
- you have certain eye infections (eg, herpes simplex, tuberculosis, fungal, mycobacterial, or viral infections), chickenpox, or an infection due to smallpox vaccination (vaccinia)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Poly-Pred drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Poly-Pred drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, glaucoma, optic nerve damage, or thinning of the cornea or other eye tissues
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Poly-Pred drops. Because little, if any, of Poly-Pred drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Poly-Pred drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Poly-Pred drops:
Use Poly-Pred drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- To use Poly-Pred drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If your doctor prescribed more than 1 eye medicine, ask the best order for using each medicine.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Poly-Pred drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- If you miss a dose of Poly-Pred drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Poly-Pred drops.
Important safety information:
- Poly-Pred drops may cause blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Poly-Pred drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 10 days or for future eye problems without checking with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, such as eye exams, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Poly-Pred drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Poly-Pred drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Poly-Pred drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; temporary burning or stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; continued or worsening itching, swelling, or irritation; continuing blurred vision; discharge from eyes; eye pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Poly-Pred drops:
Store Poly-Pred drops at room temperature, below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Poly-Pred drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Poly-Pred drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Poly-Pred drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Poly-Pred drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Poly-Pred drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Poly-Pred drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Poly-Pred drops.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.