Polocaine Dental (Mepivacaine and Levonordefrin)
Generic Name: Mepivacaine and Levonordefrin (me PIV a kane & lee voe nor DEF rin)
Brand Name: Carbocaine 2% with Neo-Cobefrin, Polocaine Dental, Scandonest 2% L
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Polocaine Dental:
- It is used before dental care to numb the area.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Polocaine Dental?
- If you have an allergy to mepivacaine, levonordefrin, or any other part of Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Polocaine Dental?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are allergic to sulfites, talk with your doctor. Some products have sulfites.
- Do not eat while your mouth feels numb. You may bite your tongue.
- If you are 65 or older, use Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Polocaine Dental) best taken?
Use Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Your doctor will give Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin).
- It is given as a shot.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling confused.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Low mood (depression).
- Blurred eyesight.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Sweating a lot.
- Dizziness or passing out.
What are some other side effects of Polocaine Dental?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Polocaine Dental?
- If you need to store Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Polocaine Dental (mepivacaine and levonordefrin), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.