Plexion SCT cream
Generic Name: sulfacetamide/sulfur (sul-fa-SEE-ta-mide/SULL-fer)
Brand Name: Examples include Avar and Plexion SCT
Plexion SCT cream is used for:
Treating acne, rosacea, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Plexion SCT cream is a sulfonamide antibiotic and keratolytic. It works by killing bacteria and shedding the top layer of skin to help treat acne.
Do NOT use Plexion SCT cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Plexion SCT cream
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any other sulfonamide medicine, such as acetazolamide, celecoxib, certain diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), glyburide, probenecid, sulfamethoxazole, valdecoxib, or zonisamide
- you have kidney disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Plexion SCT cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Plexion SCT cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema or a history of lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Plexion SCT cream. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Silver-containing products (eg, silver sulfadiazine) because they may decrease Plexion SCT cream's effectiveness
- Methenamine because it may increase the risk of Plexion SCT cream's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Plexion SCT cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Plexion SCT cream:
Use Plexion SCT cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Plexion SCT cream is for use on the skin only. Plexion SCT cream may stain clothing and the skin if too much is used.
- Wash hands before and after using Plexion SCT cream.
- Gently wash and dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of Plexion SCT cream to the affected area. Rub in gently.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Plexion SCT cream for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- Plexion SCT cream works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- Continue to use Plexion SCT cream even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Plexion SCT cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Plexion SCT cream.
Important safety information:
- It may take several days for Plexion SCT cream to work fully.
- Avoid getting Plexion SCT cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Plexion SCT cream in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not apply Plexion SCT cream to open wounds or to damaged or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Plexion SCT cream only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections.
- Be sure to use Plexion SCT cream for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Plexion SCT cream may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Plexion SCT cream should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Plexion SCT cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Plexion SCT cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Plexion SCT cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild irritation, stinging, or burning of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); cracked or extremely dry skin; fever; joint pain; red, swollen, scaling, or blistered skin; severe diarrhea; sores in the mouth; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Plexion SCT cream may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of ingestion may include change in the amount of urine; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Plexion SCT cream:
Store Plexion SCT cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze. Keep Plexion SCT cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Plexion SCT cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Plexion SCT cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Plexion SCT cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Plexion SCT cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Plexion SCT cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Plexion SCT cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Plexion SCT (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antibiotics