Generic Name: cisplatin (sis-PLA-tin)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Platinol AQ can cause severe kidney problems or allergic reactions. Hearing problems (more common in children), bone marrow suppression, or severe nausea and vomiting may also occur. The risk of these problems increases as the dose or total amount of Platinol AQ used over time increases. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop changes in the amount of urine, rash, trouble breathing, swelling of the face, fast heartbeat, dizziness, ringing in the ears or hearing loss, unusual bruising or bleeding, nausea and vomiting, unusual tiredness, or signs of an infection (eg, fever, persistent sore throat).
Platinol AQ is used for:
Treating cancer of the testes ovaries or bladder. Platinol AQ may be used alone or in combination with other medications. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Platinol AQ is an antineoplastic agent. It works by stopping cancer cells from growing and reproducing.
Do NOT use Platinol AQ if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Platinol AQ or to another platinum-containing product
- you have hearing problems, kidney problems, or bone marrow suppression
- you have taken or will be taking palifermin within 24 hours of taking Platinol AQ
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Platinol AQ:
Some medical conditions may interact with Platinol AQ. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have gout or liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Platinol AQ. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Palifermin because the risk of increased severity and duration of mouth or tongue sores may be increased
- Medicines that may harm the kidney (eg, aminoglycoside antibiotics [eg, gentamicin], amphotericin B, cyclosporine, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs] [eg, ibuprofen], tacrolimus, vancomycin) because the risk of kidney side effects may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines might harm the kidney
- Bleomycin, iodine-containing radiopaque agents, or methotrexate because the risk of side effects may be increased
- Ondansetron because it may decrease Platinol AQ's effectiveness
- Carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or valproic acid because their effectiveness may be decreased by Platinol AQ
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Platinol AQ may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Platinol AQ:
Use Platinol AQ as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Platinol AQ is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Platinol AQ is clear to light yellow in color. Do not use Platinol AQ if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Platinol AQ is recommended, especially before and for 24 hours after you receive Platinol AQ. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you spill Platinol AQ on your skin, wash it off right away with soap and water.
- If nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite occurs, ask your doctor or pharmacist for ways to lessen these effects.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Platinol AQ, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Platinol AQ.
Important safety information:
- Platinol AQ may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Platinol AQ may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, measles, mumps, oral polio) while you are taking Platinol AQ. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts; hearing tests; kidney function; liver function; neurologic exams; and blood magnesium, sodium, potassium, and calcium levels, may be performed while you use Platinol AQ. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Platinol AQ with caution in the ELDERLY, they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially blood or bone marrow problems, infections, kidney problems, and nerve problems (eg, burning, numbness, or tingling of the arms, hands, legs, or feet).
- Platinol AQ should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Platinol AQ has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. Do not become pregnant while you are using it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Platinol AQ while you are pregnant. Platinol AQ is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Platinol AQ.
Possible side effects of Platinol AQ:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; loss of appetite; nausea; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; wheezing); blood in the urine; bloody, black, or tarry stools; burning, numbness, or tingling of the arms, hands, legs, or feet; chest pain; confusion; decreased urine volume or frequency; dizziness; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hearing problems (eg, loss of hearing); joint pain; lightheadedness; loss of balance; loss of motor function; loss of taste; mental or mood changes; muscle pain, weakness, or cramping; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe or persistent diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting; slurred speech; stomach or back pain; sudden, severe headache; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, cough, sore throat); uncontrolled muscle movements; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes (eg, blindness, blurred vision, inability to distinguish colors); yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dark urine; deafness; decreased urination; pale stools; severe or persistent nausea; severe stomach pain; vision impairment; yellowing of the eyes or skin.Proper storage of Platinol AQ:
Platinol AQ is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Platinol AQ at home, store Platinol AQ as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Platinol AQ out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Platinol AQ, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Platinol AQ is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Platinol AQ or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Platinol AQ. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Platinol AQ. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Platinol AQ.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Platinol-AQ (cisplatin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating