The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: phenazopyridine/butabarbital/hyoscyamine (fen-AY-zoe-PIR-i-deen/BUE-ta-BAR-bi-tal/HYE-oh-SYE-a-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include PhenazoForte Plus and Urelief Plus
PhenazoForte Plus is used for:
Relieving pain, burning, urgency, frequent urination, and discomfort caused by irritation of the lower urinary tract. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
PhenazoForte Plus is an analgesic, anticholinergic, and antianxiety combination. It works by decreasing the motion of muscles in the stomach, intestines, and bladder. It also decreases the production of stomach acid.
Do NOT use PhenazoForte Plus if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in PhenazoForte Plus
- you have the blood disease porphyria; decreased liver or kidney function; severe esophagus problems (eg, irritation, narrowing); a blockage of the stomach, bowel, or bladder; bowel motility problems; or severe bowel problems (eg, severe ulcerative colitis, toxic megacolon)
- you have glaucoma, myasthenia gravis, or heart problems caused by severe bleeding
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using PhenazoForte Plus:
Some medical conditions may interact with PhenazoForte Plus. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have nerve problems, prostate problems, esophagus problems (eg, reflux), stomach or bowel problems, heart or blood vessel problems (eg, fast or irregular heartbeat, heart failure, coronary heart disease), lung or breathing problems, hiatal hernia, kidney or liver problems, an overactive thyroid, high blood pressure, urinary problems, paralysis, or brain damage, or if you are at risk for glaucoma
- if you have diarrhea or fever, have been very ill, or are in poor health
- if you have an enzyme deficiency called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, a family history of this deficiency, or a history of certain blood problems (eg, hemolysis)
- if you have a history of substance abuse or dependence, mental or mood problems (eg, depression), or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with PhenazoForte Plus. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amantadine, antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine), haloperidol, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, phenelzine), other anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine), phenothiazines (eg, thioridazine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of PhenazoForte Plus's side effects
- Narcotic pain medicines (eg, codeine) or potassium chloride because the risk of their side effects may be increased by PhenazoForte Plus
- Beta-blockers (eg, atenolol), clozapine, corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), doxycycline, estrogens (eg, micronized estradiol), griseofulvin, ketoconazole, metronidazole, oral contraceptives (birth control pills), phenytoin, quinidine, theophylline, or valproic acid because their effectiveness may be decreased by PhenazoForte Plus
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if PhenazoForte Plus may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use PhenazoForte Plus:
Use PhenazoForte Plus as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take PhenazoForte Plus by mouth after meals.
- Taking PhenazoForte Plus at the same time(s) each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of PhenazoForte Plus, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use PhenazoForte Plus.
Important safety information:
- PhenazoForte Plus may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use PhenazoForte Plus with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using PhenazoForte Plus; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 2 days without checking with your doctor.
- PhenazoForte Plus may change the color of your urine to orange or red. It may also stain fabric. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Do not wear soft contact lenses while taking PhenazoForte Plus; permanent staining of the lenses may occur.
- Do not become overheated or dehydrated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- PhenazoForte Plus may cause dry mouth. To relieve dry mouth, suck on (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using PhenazoForte Plus. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- PhenazoForte Plus may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take PhenazoForte Plus before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Do not use PhenazoForte Plus for future urinary tract problems without first checking with your doctor.
- PhenazoForte Plus may interfere with certain lab tests, including urinalysis. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking PhenazoForte Plus.
- Use PhenazoForte Plus with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, agitation, confusion, drowsiness, dry mouth, especially constipation, excitability, memory problems, or trouble urinating.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if PhenazoForte Plus can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using PhenazoForte Plus while you are pregnant. PhenazoForte Plus is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while taking PhenazoForte Plus, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of PhenazoForte Plus:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloated feeling; blurred vision; clumsiness; constipation; decreased sweating; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; enlarged pupils; excessive daytime drowsiness; excitability; headache; lightheadedness; nausea; trouble sleeping; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); agitation; blue or purple skin color; confusion; decreased urination; disorientation; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; loss of coordination; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, unusual behavior changes); shortness of breath; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes (eg, trouble focusing eyes); yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blue or purple skin color; disorientation; excessive thirst or excitability; fever; hot, dry skin; seizures; severe dry mouth; severe or persistent blurred vision, dizziness, headache, nausea, or vomiting; trouble breathing or swallowing; unusual fatigue.Proper storage of PhenazoForte Plus:
Store PhenazoForte Plus at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep PhenazoForte Plus out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about PhenazoForte Plus, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- PhenazoForte Plus is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take PhenazoForte Plus or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about PhenazoForte Plus. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to PhenazoForte Plus. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using PhenazoForte Plus.