Generic Name: chlorhexidine (klor-HEX-ih-deen)
Brand Name: Examples include Peridex and PerioGard
PerioGard solution is used for:
Treating certain types of gingivitis between dental visits as part of a professional program. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
PerioGard solution is a topical antimicrobial. It works by reacting with the microbial cell surface, destroying the cell membrane, and killing the cell.
Do NOT use PerioGard solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in PerioGard solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using PerioGard solution:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have fillings or other dental work on your front teeth, or if you have periodontitis (another dental disease)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with PerioGard solution. However, no specific interactions with PerioGard solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if PerioGard solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use PerioGard solution:
Use PerioGard solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use after breakfast and before bedtime unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- First brush your teeth. Measure the prescribed amount in the cap, which is marked for medicine dosing. Rinse for 30 seconds, then spit out the medicine. Do not swallow PerioGard solution.
- Do not rinse with water or other mouthwashes, brush teeth, or eat immediately after using PerioGard solution.
- If you miss a dose of PerioGard solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use PerioGard solution.
Important safety information:
- You should have a dental appointment at least every six months while you are using PerioGard solution.
- PerioGard solution may cause staining of the teeth that can usually be removed with appropriate dental procedures. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- PerioGard solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using PerioGard solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use PerioGard solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of PerioGard solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild irritation; tartar; taste changes; tooth staining.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); numbness or tingling in the mouth; sores or irritation of the mouth; swelling not present when you began using PerioGard solution.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms include nausea or signs of alcohol intoxication.Proper storage of PerioGard solution:
Store PerioGard solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep PerioGard solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about PerioGard solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- PerioGard solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take PerioGard solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about PerioGard solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to PerioGard solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using PerioGard solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Periogard (chlorhexidine topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides