The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Pediatex 12 DM suspension
Generic Name: carbinoxamine/dextromethorphan/pseudoephedrine (car-bi-NOX-ah-meen/dex-troe-meth-OR-fan/sue-doe-eh-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Cordron-12 DM and Pediatex 12 DM
Pediatex 12 DM suspension is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, cough due to colds, upper respiratory tract infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pediatex 12 DM suspension is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing, while the cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Pediatex 12 DM suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pediatex 12 DM suspension
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pediatex 12 DM suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pediatex 12 DM suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pediatex 12 DM suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Pediatex 12 DM suspension's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Pediatex 12 DM suspension
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, methyldopa, mecamylamine, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Pediatex 12 DM suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Pediatex 12 DM suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pediatex 12 DM suspension:
Use Pediatex 12 DM suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Pediatex 12 DM suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Pediatex 12 DM suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pediatex 12 DM suspension.
Important safety information:
- Pediatex 12 DM suspension may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pediatex 12 DM suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Pediatex 12 DM suspension without checking with your doctor.
- Pediatex 12 DM suspension has dextromethorphan and pseudoephedrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has dextromethorphan or pseudoephedrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Pediatex 12 DM suspension may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Pediatex 12 DM suspension. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Pediatex 12 DM suspension may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Pediatex 12 DM suspension for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Pediatex 12 DM suspension before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Pediatex 12 DM suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Pediatex 12 DM suspension in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pediatex 12 DM suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Pediatex 12 DM suspension.
Possible side effects of Pediatex 12 DM suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Pediatex 12 DM suspension:
Store Pediatex 12 DM suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pediatex 12 DM suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pediatex 12 DM suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pediatex 12 DM suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Pediatex 12 DM suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.