Generic Name: Paricalcitol Capsules (pah ri KAL si tole)
Brand Name: Zemplar
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 9, 2020.
Uses of Paricalcitol Capsules:
- It is used to treat high parathyroid hormone levels in certain patients.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Paricalcitol Capsules?
- If you are allergic to this medicine (paricalcitol capsules); any part of this medicine (paricalcitol capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: High calcium levels or high vitamin D levels.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (paricalcitol capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (paricalcitol capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Paricalcitol Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (paricalcitol capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking other sources of vitamin D, talk with your doctor.
- If you take other products that have aluminum in them like some antacids, talk with your doctor.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- Take this medicine (paricalcitol capsules) at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after cholestyramine or mineral oil.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (paricalcitol capsules) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Paricalcitol Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (paricalcitol capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking this medicine (paricalcitol capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you take this medicine (paricalcitol capsules) 3 times weekly and you miss a dose, call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, constipation, or bone pain.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Passing urine more often.
- Weight loss.
- Not hungry.
- More thirst.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Fever or chills.
What are some other side effects of Paricalcitol Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Dizziness or headache.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Joint pain.
- Eye redness.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Paricalcitol Capsules?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (paricalcitol capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about paricalcitol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: vitamins
- Paricalcitol Injection
- Paricalcitol (Advanced Reading)
- Paricalcitol Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Zemplar