Generic Name: papain/urea (pa-PAY-in/ue-REE-a)
Brand Name: Paptase
Paptase foam is used for:
Removing dead tissue and thinning the pus in lesions such as ulcers, burns, wounds, and carbuncles.
Paptase foam is a debriding agent. It works by helping the breakdown of dead skin and pus, which helps improve the recovery time of open wounds.
Do NOT use Paptase foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Paptase foam
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Paptase foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with Paptase foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Paptase foam. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Hydrogen peroxide or medicines containing silver, lead, or mercury because they may decrease Paptase foam's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Paptase foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Paptase foam:
Use Paptase foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cleanse the affected area with saline or another mild wound cleansing solution each time the dressing is changed. Do not use hydrogen peroxide.
- Shake well before each use.
- You must prime the pump before you use it for the first time. Hold the can upright, pointed away from yourself and others. Push down the actuator until the foam begins to come out.
- The spray canister will work best if you hold it upright while you apply Paptase foam; however, you may hold the canister at an angle if necessary.
- Apply Paptase foam directly onto the wound or onto a secondary dressing as directed by your doctor.
- Apply Paptase foam in a single layer as directed by your doctor. Completely cover the wound with medicine. Cover with appropriate dressing (eg, bandages) and secure into place.
- Wipe the nozzle with clean gauze after each use.
- Change wound dressings according to the schedule set by your doctor.
- If irritation occurs, talk with your doctor about changing the dressings more often.
- Protect the normal skin around the wound with a skin protectant as directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Paptase foam, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Paptase foam.
Important safety information:
- Paptase foam is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister, even if it appears to be empty.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Paptase foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Paptase foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Paptase foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild skin irritation; temporary burning sensation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Paptase foam:
Store Paptase foam upright, in a cool place, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Do not freeze. Keep Paptase foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Paptase foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Paptase foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Paptase foam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Paptase foam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Paptase foam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Paptase foam.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Paptase (papain / urea topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical debriding agents