Papain/ urea/ chlorophyllin foam
Generic Name: papain/urea/chlorophyllin (pa-PAY-in/ue-REE-a/KLOR-oh-FIL-in)
Brand Name: Papfyll
Papain/ urea/ chlorophyllin foam is used for:
Removing dead tissue and thinning the pus in lesions such as ulcers, burns, wounds, and carbuncles.
Papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam is a debriding agent. It works by helping the breakdown of dead skin and pus, which helps improve the recovery time of open wounds. It also helps to control wound inflammation and odor.
Do NOT use papain/ urea/ chlorophyllin foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using papain/ urea/ chlorophyllin foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Medicines containing silver, lead, or mercury because they may decrease papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use papain/ urea/ chlorophyllin foam:
Use papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam is for external use only.
- Before each use of papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam, clean the affected area with saline or another mild wound cleansing solution. Do not use hydrogen peroxide.
- Shake well before each use.
- The container must be primed before the first use. To prime, shake well. Point away from yourself and others and press down on the nozzle for 3 to 5 seconds or until foam appears.
- To use papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam, apply a single layer directly to the wound or to onto secondary dressing, as directed by your doctor. You may hold the container at an angle to spray the foam; however, it works best when held in an upright position. Completely cover the wound bed.
- Cover with appropriate dressing (eg, bandages), and secure into place. Wash the lesion each time the dressing is changed.
- Wipe any extra foam off of the nozzle with clean gauze after each use.
- Change wound dressings according to the schedule set by your doctor.
- If irritation occurs, talk with your doctor about changing the dressings more often.
- If you miss a dose of papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam.
Important safety information:
- Papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam is for external use only. Do not get it in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with a generous amount of cool water.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of papain/ urea/ chlorophyllin foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild skin irritation; temporary burning sensation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam:
Store papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam upright at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Avoid temperatures above 120 degree F (49 degrees C). Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Keep papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using papain/urea/chlorophyllin foam.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.