Generic Name: methscopolamine (meth-skoe-POL-uh-meen)
Brand Name: Pamine and Pamine Forte
Pamine Forte is used for:
Treating peptic ulcers in combination with other medicines. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Pamine Forte is an anticholinergic. It works by decreasing stomach acid production and by relaxing the muscles in the stomach and intestines.
Do NOT use Pamine Forte if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pamine Forte
- you have glaucoma, blockage of the bladder, certain problems with your esophagus (eg, decreased esophageal motility, severe irritation caused by reflux), certain stomach or intestinal problems (eg, blockage, lack of muscle tone, or ulcerative colitis), heart problems caused by blood loss, or muscle problems (eg, myasthenia gravis)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pamine Forte:
Some medical conditions may interact with Pamine Forte. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have nerve problems, severe bowel problems, prostate problems, heart problems, heart failure, a hernia, a predisposition of glaucoma or open-angle glaucoma, or urinary retention
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pamine Forte. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticholinergic medicines (eg, benztropine, hyoscyamine, or trihexyphenidyl), certain medicines for mental or mood disorders (eg, thioridazine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Pamine Forte's side effects
- Beta-blockers (eg, propanolol) or digoxin because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Pamine Forte
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Pamine Forte may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pamine Forte:
Use Pamine Forte as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Pamine Forte by mouth 30 minutes before meals and at bedtime, or as directed by your health care provider.
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Pamine Forte.
- If you miss a dose of Pamine Forte, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pamine Forte.
Important safety information:
- Pamine Forte may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pamine Forte with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Pamine Forte may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Pamine Forte may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Pamine Forte without checking with your doctor; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Antacids may decrease the effectiveness of Pamine Forte. Talk to your doctor before taking any antacids while taking Pamine Forte.
- Use Pamine Forte with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially if they have weak intestines or constipation.
- Pamine Forte should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pamine Forte while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Pamine Forte.
Possible side effects of Pamine Forte:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloated feeling; blurred vision; constipation; decreased sweating; difficulty sleeping; dilation of pupils; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; loss of taste; nausea; nervousness; urinary hesitancy or retention.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in heartbeat; diarrhea; difficulty focusing your eyes; difficulty urinating; pounding in the chest; rapid heart rate; unusual weakness; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include abnormal behavior; blurred vision; circulatory problems; coma; difficulty breathing; dilated pupils; disorientation; excessive thirst; excitement; flushing; low blood pressure; muscle weakness; nausea; paralysis; restlessness; seizures; unusual dizziness or drowsiness; unusually dry mouth; vomiting.Proper storage of Pamine Forte:
Store Pamine Forte between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pamine Forte out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pamine Forte, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pamine Forte is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Pamine Forte or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Pamine Forte. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Pamine Forte. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Pamine Forte.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Pamine Forte (methscopolamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating