Oxtyrol For Women system
Generic Name: oxybutynin (OX-i-BUE-ti-nin)
Brand Name: Examples include Oxytrol and Oxtyrol For Women
Oxtyrol For Women system is used for:
Treating overactive bladder with symptoms of an urgent need to urinate, a need to urinate often, or leakage of urine. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Oxtyrol For Women system is an anticholinergic. It works by relaxing muscles in the bladder.
Do NOT use Oxtyrol For Women system if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Oxtyrol For Women system
- you have bladder blockage or are unable to urinate
- you have certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, decreased muscle movement)
- you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma
- you have burning or painful urination with or without fever or chills, blood in the urine, cloudy or foul-smelling urine, or unexplained back or side pain
- you only have accidental urine loss when you cough, sneeze, or laugh
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Oxtyrol For Women system:
Some medical conditions may interact with Oxtyrol For Women system. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have trouble urinating or a weak urine stream
- if you have diabetes or unexplained weight loss
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure, fast or irregular heartbeat), high blood pressure, nervous system problems (eg, autonomic neuropathy), liver or kidney problems, myasthenia gravis, an enlarged prostate, an overactive thyroid, esophagus problems (eg, reflux disease, inflammation, narrowing), stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, colitis, inflammation, constipation), Parkinson disease, or a hiatal hernia
- if you have a history of glaucoma or increased pressure in the eyes, or if you are at risk of glaucoma (eg, family history of glaucoma)
- if you will be exposed to high temperatures for a long period of time
- if you have very poor health or you have a history of alcohol abuse
- if you are taking any other medicine to treat overactive bladder
- if you are taking a cholinesterase inhibitor (eg, donepezil) to treat dementia. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure
- if you are also taking a solid oral potassium product (eg, tablets)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Oxtyrol For Women system. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate) because the risk of irritation of the esophagus may be increased
- Other anticholinergic medicines (eg, scopolamine), azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), or macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin) because they may increase the risk of Oxtyrol For Women system's side effects
- Solid oral potassium products (eg, tablets) because the risk of stomach or bowel irritation may be increased by Oxtyrol For Women system
- Metoclopramide because its effectiveness may be decreased by Oxtyrol For Women system
- Phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Oxtyrol For Women system and they may increase the risk of Oxtyrol For Women system's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Oxtyrol For Women system may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Oxtyrol For Women system:
Use Oxtyrol For Women system as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet with detailed instructions for use may be available with Oxtyrol For Women system. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Apply the patch to a clean, dry, smooth area of your skin on your stomach, hips, or buttocks. Apply it to an area under clothing to protect it from sunlight. Avoid applying it to your waistline because clothing may rub against the patch.
- Do NOT apply the patch to oily, damaged, or irritated skin. Avoid using oils, lotions, or powders near the application site because the patch may not stick to your skin.
- Using Oxtyrol For Women system while bathing, swimming, showering, or exercising will not change the way it works. However, avoid rubbing the patch area during these activities.
- To use Oxtyrol For Women system, open the pouch and remove the patch. Apply it right away. Carefully remove the first protective liner and place the patch firmly onto your skin. Do not touch the adhesive side of the patch. Bend the patch in half and gently roll the remaining part onto your skin using the tips of your fingers. As you roll the patch in place, the second protective liner should come off of the patch. Gently apply firm pressure over the patch to be sure it stays in place.
- Do not cut the patch into smaller pieces.
- When it is time to apply a new patch, remove the old patch carefully. Fold the patch in half with the sticky sides together. Discard the patch out of the reach of children and away from pets because it may still contain medicine.
- Always remove the patch carefully and slowly to avoid damage to your skin. If there is adhesive left on your skin, gently wash the area with warm, soapy water. You may also use baby oil or a medical adhesive removal pad if needed. Do not use alcohol or nail polish remover because these may irritate the skin.
- Use a different skin site each time you apply a new patch. Do not reuse the same site within 7 days.
- Use Oxtyrol For Women system on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using Oxtyrol For Women system at the same time each day will help you remember to use it.
- Continue to use Oxtyrol For Women system even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If the patch comes off, press it back in place and continue to follow your regular application schedule. If it does not stay on, throw it away and put a new patch on in a different area. Continue to follow your regular application schedule.
- If you forget to change the patch on the correct day, remove the old patch and apply a new patch to a different application site as soon as you remember. Continue to follow your regular application schedule. Wear only 1 patch at a time. Do not use 2 patches at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Oxtyrol For Women system.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Oxtyrol For Women system before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Oxtyrol For Women system may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Oxtyrol For Women system with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Oxtyrol For Women system; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Oxtyrol For Women system may cause decreased sweating. Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur. Contact your doctor if you have been exposed to high temperatures and you develop fever; flushing; hot, dry skin; severe or persistent headache; dizziness; sudden fatigue; fast heartbeat; seizures; or fainting.
- Oxtyrol For Women system may cause dry mouth. To help relieve dry mouth, suck on sugarless hard candy or ice chips, chew sugarless gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- A serious side effect called angioedema has been reported with the use of oral dosage forms of Oxtyrol For Women system (eg, tablets). Contact your doctor at once if you develop swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness.
- Some brands of Oxtyrol For Women system are not approved for use in men.
- Use Oxtyrol For Women system with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Some brands of Oxtyrol For Women system should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Oxtyrol For Women system can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Oxtyrol For Women system while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Oxtyrol For Women system, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Oxtyrol For Women system:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry eyes, nose, skin, or mouth; headache; minor redness, itching, or irritation at the patch application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty swallowing or breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); confusion; difficult or painful urination; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, depression); pain, burning, blistering, or oozing at the application site; seizures; severe or persistent constipation or stomach pain; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; vision problems.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Oxtyrol For Women system:
Store Oxtyrol For Women system at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store in original packaging until just before use. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Oxtyrol For Women system out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Oxtyrol For Women system, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Oxtyrol For Women system is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Oxtyrol For Women system or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Oxtyrol For Women system. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Oxtyrol For Women system. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Oxtyrol For Women system.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Oxytrol for Women (oxybutynin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 7 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: urinary antispasmodics