Medically reviewed on May 2, 2018
- This medicine may cause very bad eye problems, age the skin, and raise the chance of skin cancer. You will be watched closely by your doctor.
- There is more than 1 brand of Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules). One brand cannot safely be used for the other. The doctor will tell you about any needed change.
Uses of Oxsoralen-Ultra:
- It is used to treat psoriasis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Oxsoralen-Ultra?
- If you have an allergy to methoxsalen or any other part of Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Squamous cell cancer or if you do not have a lens in your eye (aphakia).
- If you have ever had melanoma.
- If light bothers your skin easily or you have a health problem that may lead to light bothering your skin. There are many health problems that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Oxsoralen-Ultra?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have an eye exam as you have been told by your doctor.
- Do not sunbathe within 24 hours before taking Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules) and the light therapy. Talk with your doctor.
- You will need to wear special sunglasses during and for 24 hours after care. Protect lips with lipstick that has sunscreen. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not take Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Sun or UV rays may age the skin and raise the chance of skin cancer.
- You may get sunburned more easily. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun. Keep protecting yourself from sunburn for as long as you were told by your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Blood clots have happened with Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules) when used to treat graft-versus-host disease. This medicine is not approved to treat graft-versus-host disease. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules).
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules), call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Oxsoralen-Ultra) best taken?
Use Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- This medicine is used with light therapy.
- Take before being exposed to UV light as you were told by your doctor.
- Take Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules) with food or milk.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Change in color or size of a mole.
- Low mood (depression).
- A skin lump or growth.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Oxsoralen-Ultra?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Skin irritation.
- Upset stomach.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Oxsoralen-Ultra?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen soft-gelatin capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Oxsoralen-Ultra (methoxsalen)
- Oxsoralen-Ultra Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: psoralens