Ovace Plus shampoo
Generic Name: sulfacetamide (SUL-fa-SET-a-mide)
Brand Name: Ovace Plus
Ovace Plus shampoo is used for:
Treating seborrhea and dandruff. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ovace Plus shampoo is a sulfonamide antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause seborrhea and dandruff.
Do NOT use Ovace Plus shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ovace Plus shampoo or to another sulfonamide (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ovace Plus shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ovace Plus shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have cut, scraped, infected, burned, or damaged skin at the application site
- if you have a history of lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ovace Plus shampoo. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Silver-containing products (eg, silver sulfadiazine) because they may decrease Ovace Plus shampoo's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ovace Plus shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ovace Plus shampoo:
Use Ovace Plus shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ovace Plus shampoo is for use on the hair and scalp only.
- Shake Ovace Plus shampoo well before each use.
- Apply Ovace Plus shampoo to wet hair and massage into scalp. Rinse well.
- To clear up your condition completely, use Ovace Plus shampoo for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your condition improves within a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ovace Plus shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ovace Plus shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Ovace Plus shampoo is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use more often than prescribed. If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Do not apply Ovace Plus shampoo to infected or damaged skin without first checking with your doctor.
- Large amounts of Ovace Plus shampoo may discolor white fabrics. This discoloration can usually be removed by ordinary laundering without bleach.
- Ovace Plus shampoo may become slightly darker over time. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Long-term or repeated use of Ovace Plus shampoo may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Ovace Plus shampoo may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Ovace Plus shampoo should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Ovace Plus shampoo should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ovace Plus shampoo while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ovace Plus shampoo, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ovace Plus shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Irritation, stinging, or burning of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); butterfly-shaped rash on the face; fever; joint pain; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; sores in the mouth.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include change in the amount of urine produced; nausea; or vomiting. Ovace Plus shampoo may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Ovace Plus shampoo:
Store Ovace Plus shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Protect from very high temperatures. Do not freeze. Keep Ovace Plus shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ovace Plus shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ovace Plus shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ovace Plus shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ovace Plus shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ovace Plus shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ovace Plus shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ovace Plus (sulfacetamide sodium topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antibiotics