Generic Name: Ciprofloxacin and Fluocinolone (sip roe FLOKS a sin & floo oh SIN oh lone)
Brand Name: Otovel
Medically reviewed on Feb 9, 2019
Uses of Otovel:
- It is used to treat ear infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Otovel?
- If you have an allergy to Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone) or any part of Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Chickenpox, herpes infection, or viral infection of the ear.
- If you have a fungal infection of the ear.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Otovel?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic reactions have rarely happened with other forms of Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone) as well as drugs like this one. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Otovel) best taken?
Use Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the ear only.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Wash hands before and after use.
- Warm solution in hands 1 to 2 minutes before putting drops in ear.
- Lie on your side with problem ear up.
- For children younger than 3 years of age, pull the outer ear outward and downward.
- For children 3 years of age and older and adults, pull the outer ear outward and upward.
- Put drops in ear without touching dropper to ear. Stay on side for 1 minute.
- Throw away any part of opened vial not used after use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
What are some other side effects of Otovel?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Fluid draining from the ear.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Otovel?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store unused containers in foil pouch until use.
- Throw away any part of opened pouch that is not used after 7 days.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Otovel (ciprofloxacin and fluocinolone), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.