Oticin HC NR
Generic Name: Chloroxylenol, Hydrocortisone, and Pramoxine Otic Solution (klor oh ZYE le nole, HIGH droe CORE tih sone, and pram OX een)
Brand Name: Aero Otic HC, Cortane-B, Cortane-B Aqueous, Cortic-ND, Cyotic, ...show all 9 brand names.Exotic-HC, Oticin HC NR, Oto-End 10, Otomax-HC
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
Uses of Oticin HC NR:
- It is used to treat ear infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Oticin HC NR?
- If you have an allergy to chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, pramoxine, or any other part of Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Chickenpox or a viral ear infection.
- If you have a hole in the eardrum.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Oticin HC NR?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Do not use Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution) for other health problems.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Oticin HC NR) best taken?
Use Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the ear only.
- Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean the outer ear before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Lie on your side with problem ear up.
- Pull the outer ear outward and upward.
- For children younger than 3 years of age, pull the outer ear outward and downward.
- Put drops in ear without touching dropper to ear. Stay on side for 5 minutes.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad ear irritation.
- Very bad itching.
What are some other side effects of Oticin HC NR?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Ear irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Oticin HC NR?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Oticin HC NR (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine otic
- Chloroxylenol/hydrocortisone/pramoxine otic Side Effects
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: otic steroids with anti-infectives
- Chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic
- Chloroxylenol, Hydrocortisone, and Pramoxine Otic Solution