Generic Name: hyaluronan (hye-a-loo-ROE-nan)
Brand Name: Orthovisc
Orthovisc is used for:
Treating knee pain in patients with osteoarthritis who have not received relief from other treatments.
Orthovisc is a hyaluronic acid derivative. It works by increasing the effectiveness of the fluid within the knee joint to act as a lubricant and shock absorber.
Do NOT use Orthovisc if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Orthovisc or have an allergy to gram positive bacterial proteins
- you have an infection or skin disease near the joint or injection site
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Orthovisc:
Some medical conditions may interact with Orthovisc. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Orthovisc. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Quaternary ammonium salts because side effects may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Orthovisc may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Orthovisc:
Use Orthovisc as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Orthovisc comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Orthovisc refilled.
- Orthovisc is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Orthovisc at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Orthovisc contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Do not use disinfectants containing ammonium salts to prepare the skin for injection because side effects may occur.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Orthovisc, contact your doctor to establish a new dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Orthovisc.
Important safety information:
- Orthovisc is usually given as a series of injections 1 week apart for a total of 3 or 4 injections. You may not experience pain relief until after the third injection.
- You may experience a temporary inflammation in your knee after using Orthovisc. If the inflammation is severe or continues, contact your doctor.
- Avoid strenuous activity or prolonged (more than 1 hour) weight-bearing activity (eg, running, tennis, heavy lifting) for at least 48 hours after you are injected with Orthovisc.
- Use Orthovisc with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Orthovisc, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Orthovisc during pregnancy. It is unknown if Orthovisc is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Orthovisc, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Orthovisc:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild bruising, heat, redness, swelling, or pain at the injection site; temporary achy feeling; temporary knee inflammation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Orthovisc:
Orthovisc is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Orthovisc at home, store Orthovisc as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Orthovisc out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Orthovisc, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Orthovisc is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Orthovisc or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Orthovisc. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Orthovisc. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Orthovisc.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Orthovisc (hyaluronan)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 106 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: viscosupplementation agents