Orkambi (Lumacaftor and Ivacaftor Granules)
Generic Name: Lumacaftor and Ivacaftor Granules (loo ma KAF tor & eye va KAF tor)
Brand Name: Orkambi
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 23, 2019.
Uses of Orkambi:
- It is used to treat cystic fibrosis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Orkambi?
- If you have an allergy to Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) or any part of Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have had a transplant.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, or St. John's wort.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Cyclosporine, everolimus, midazolam, sirolimus, tacrolimus, or triazolam.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Orkambi?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your lung function checked as you have been told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- High blood pressure has happened with Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Cataracts have happened in children taking Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules). Have an eye exam before starting Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) and while taking it. Talk with your doctor
- Liver problems have happened with Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules). Liver problems have also gotten worse in people who already have them. Rarely, this has been deadly. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) with your other drugs.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Orkambi) best taken?
Use Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) just before or just after fatty foods. This includes eggs; butter; peanut butter; cheese pizza; or whole-milk dairy products like whole-milk, cheese, or yogurt.
- Mix the contents of the packet with 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of soft food or liquid. This includes pureed fruits or vegetables, yogurt, applesauce, water, breast milk, baby formula, milk, or juice. Food or liquid needs to be at or below room temperature.
- Take Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) within 1 hour of mixing.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it has been 6 hours or more since the missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss 7 days of Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules), call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Shortness of breath.
- Trouble breathing that is new or worse.
- Feeling confused.
What are some other side effects of Orkambi?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Flu-like signs.
- Signs of a common cold.
- Nose and throat irritation.
- More sputum.
- Belly pain.
- Period (menstrual) changes.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Orkambi?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor granules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- What is the difference between Symdeko and Orkambi?
- How do the warnings differ between Symdeko and Orkambi?
More about Orkambi (ivacaftor / lumacaftor)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: CFTR combinations
- FDA Approval History