Generic Name: ciclesonide (sye-KLES-oh-nide)
Brand Name: Omnaris
Omnaris spray is used for:
Treating nasal allergy symptoms such as congestion, sneezing, itching, and runny nose.
Omnaris spray is a corticosteroid. It works by reducing nasal inflammation caused by allergens in the air.
Do NOT use Omnaris spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Omnaris spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Omnaris spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Omnaris spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an ulcer or sore of the nasal septum (the wall between your nostrils), or if you have recently had nasal surgery or a nasal injury
- if you have an infection (eg, bacterial, fungal, parasitic, viral), measles, chickenpox, herpes infection in or around the eye, or active or inactive tuberculosis (TB), or if you have ever had a positive TB skin test
- if you have recently received a vaccination
- if you have not had chickenpox or measles and you have not been vaccinated against them
- if you have a history of asthma, glaucoma, or cataracts
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Omnaris spray. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), delavirdine, or HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir) because they may increase the risk of Omnaris spray's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Omnaris spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Omnaris spray:
Use Omnaris spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Omnaris spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Avoid spraying Omnaris spray into your eyes or directly onto the nasal septum (the wall between your nostrils).
- Before using Omnaris spray for the first time, you must prime the pump. Do this by gently shaking the bottle, then pressing down on the pump 8 times.
- Shake the bottle gently before each use.
- To use Omnaris spray, gently blow your nose. Sit down and tilt your head forward slightly. Place the tip of the spray container into the nose. Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close it off. Breathe gently through the open nostril and squeeze the spray container. If you are using more than 1 spray, wait for 1 to 2 minutes between sprays. After using the medicine, rinse the tip of the spray unit in hot water and dry with a clean tissue to prevent contamination.
- Do not use more than 2 sprays in each nostril daily.
- If Omnaris spray is not used for 4 days in a row, you must reprime the pump. Do this by gently shaking the bottle, then pressing down on the pump 1 time or until a fine spray mist appears.
- If Omnaris spray becomes blocked, do not try to unblock it with a pin or other sharp object. Gently remove the dust cap and the nasal applicator from the bottle. Wash the dust cap and the nasal applicator with warm water. Dry completely and replace the nasal applicator onto the bottle. Reprime by shaking gently and pressing down on the pump 1 time or until a fine spray mist appears. Replace the dust cap.
- Throw the bottle away after 120 sprays (not counting the 8 sprays used to prime the pump) or 4 months after it is removed from the foil pouch, whichever comes first. You may no longer receive the correct amount of medicine with each spray. Do not transfer any remaining medicine to another bottle.
- Use Omnaris spray on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using Omnaris spray at the same time each day will help you remember to use it.
- Continue to use Omnaris spray even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Omnaris spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Omnaris spray.
Important safety information:
- Omnaris spray is for use in the nose only. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Symptoms may start to improve within 1 to 2 days after you begin to use Omnaris spray; however, the full benefit may not be seen for several weeks. If your symptoms do not improve after several weeks or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Omnaris spray. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, a sudden asthma attack, or severe fluid or electrolyte loss. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Omnaris spray before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does. Tell your doctor right away if you are exposed to anyone who has these infections.
- If you use Omnaris spray for a long period of time (eg, several months), your doctor may need to perform nasal check-ups to check for side effects such as infection.
- Omnaris spray should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Omnaris spray.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Omnaris spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Omnaris spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Omnaris spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Ear pain; headache; nose or throat irritation; nosebleed.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in menstrual periods; rounded face, muscle weakness, or unusual weight gain; severe or persistent nose or throat irritation or redness; severe, persistent, or repeated nosebleed; shortness of breath; unusual or severe acne; vision changes; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include muscle weakness; rounded face; unusual weight gain.Proper storage of Omnaris spray:
Store Omnaris spray at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Throw away any remaining medicine 4 months after the bottle has been removed from the foil pouch. Keep Omnaris spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Omnaris spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Omnaris spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Omnaris spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Omnaris spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Omnaris spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Omnaris spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Omnaris (ciclesonide nasal)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Zetonna