Omeprazole/ clarithromycin/ amoxicillin therapy pack
Generic Name: omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin (oh-MEP-ra-zole/kla-RITH-roe-MYE-sin/a-MOX-i-SIL-in)
Brand Name: Omeclamox-Pak
Omeprazole/ clarithromycin/ amoxicillin therapy pack is used for:
Treating certain patients who have Helicobacter pylori infection and duodenal ulcer.
Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI), penicillin antibiotic, and macrolide antibiotic combination. It works by killing H. pylori bacteria and reducing stomach acid. This helps to heal the ulcer and prevent it from coming back.
Do NOT use omeprazole/ clarithromycin/ amoxicillin therapy pack if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack, to any penicillin antibiotic (eg, ampicillin), or to any macrolide antibiotic (eg, erythromycin)
- you have infectious mononucleosis (mono)
- you have had liver problems or yellowing of the skin or eyes caused by previous use of clarithromycin
- you have a very slow heartbeat or certain types of irregular heartbeat (eg, QT prolongation, long QT syndrome, ventricular arrhythmias)
- you have low blood potassium or magnesium levels
- you are taking alfuzosin, certain antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, dofetilide, dronedarone, procainamide, propafenone, quinidine, sotalol), asenapine, atazanavir, avanafil, bosutinib, cabazitaxel, cisapride, citalopram, clopidogrel, conivaptan, crizotinib, dasatinib, diltiazem, eletriptan, an ergot alkaloid (eg, dihydroergotamine, ergotamine), everolimus, ivabradine, lovastatin, lurasidone, nelfinavir, nilotinib, pimozide, quinupristin/dalfopristin, ranolazine, regorafenib, rifampin, rilpivirine, salmeterol, sildenafil, silodosin, simvastatin, St. John's wort, tadalafil, tamsulosin, tetrabenazine, tetracycline antibiotics (eg, doxycycline), ticagrelor, tolvaptan, vardenafil, or vincristine
- you have kidney or liver problems and you are also taking colchicine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using omeprazole/ clarithromycin/ amoxicillin therapy pack:
Some medical conditions may interact with omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cephalexin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, low blood vitamin B12 levels or vitamin B12 deficiency, the blood disorder porphyria, myasthenia gravis, gonorrhea, or stomach or bowel cancer
- if you have osteoporosis (weak bones), a family history of osteoporosis, or other risk factors of osteoporosis (eg, smoking, poor nutrition)
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat) or low blood potassium or magnesium levels
- if you are taking any medicine that may increase the risk of a certain type of irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval). Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines may increase the risk of this type of irregular heartbeat
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for abortion, alcoholism, allergies, anxiety, arthritis, asthma or other lung or breathing problems, blood thinning, blood vessel problems, cancer, Cushing syndrome, cystic fibrosis, decreased blood clot formation, depression or other mental or mood problems, diabetes, enlarged prostate, erectile dysfunction, gout, hepatitis C infection, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high prolactin levels, HIV, Huntington chorea, immune system suppression, infections, inflammation, iron replacement, irregular heartbeat or other heart problems, migraines, myelofibrosis, narcotic addiction, nausea and vomiting, pain, parathyroid problems, pulmonary arterial hypertension [PAH], overactive bladder, seizures, sleep, stomach or bowel problems, Tourette syndrome), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements (eg, St. John's wort) because they may interact with omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines might interfere with omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use omeprazole/ clarithromycin/ amoxicillin therapy pack:
Use omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack by mouth before a meal in the morning and in the evening unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Swallow omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you are also taking zidovudine, do not take it within 2 hours before or after you take clarithromycin.
- To clear up your infection completely, take omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Continue to take omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about the proper use of omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack.
Important safety information:
- Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack may cause drowsiness or dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Do NOT change your dose, stop taking omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack, or take omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Omeprazole, an ingredient in omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack, may increase the risk of hip, wrist, and spine fractures in patients with weak bones (osteoporosis). The risk may be greater if you use omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack in high doses, for long periods of time, or if you are older than 50 years old. Contact your doctor if you have any questions about this information.
- Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack contains a PPI. Low blood magnesium levels have been reported rarely in patients taking PPIs for at least 3 months. In most cases, this effect was seen after a year of treatment. If you will be taking omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack for a long time or if you take certain other medicines (eg, digoxin, diuretics), your doctor may perform lab tests to check for low blood magnesium levels. Seek medical attention right away if you experience symptoms of low blood magnesium levels (eg, dizziness; fast or irregular heartbeat; involuntary muscle movements; jitteriness or tremors; muscle aches, cramps, pain, spasms, or weakness; seizures).
- Long-term treatment (eg, longer than 3 years) with medicines like this one has rarely caused low vitamin B12 levels. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor to see whether you should take a calcium and vitamin D supplement while you use omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack.
- Be sure to use omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Severe and sometimes fatal liver problems have been reported with clarithromycin. This has usually been reversible when the medicine is stopped. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor. Tell your doctor right away if you experience symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark urine; pale stools; severe or persistent nausea, loss of appetite, or stomach pain; unusual tiredness).
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack may rarely affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- There have been reports of tooth discoloration with the use of clarithromycin. This has usually been reversible with a dental cleaning.
- There have been reports of hearing loss with use of clarithromycin, usually in elderly women. This has usually been reversible. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, oral typhoid vaccine) while you are taking omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack may interfere with certain lab tests, including certain urine glucose tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack should be used with caution in Asian patients; the risk of side effects may be increased in these patients.
- Use omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval); liver problems; kidney problems; and hip, wrist, and spine fractures.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Clarithromycin has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. It is not recommended for use during pregnancy except when no other antibiotics can be used. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack while you are pregnant. Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack.
Possible side effects of omeprazole/ clarithromycin/ amoxicillin therapy pack:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Changes in taste; dry mouth; headache; indigestion; mild diarrhea or stomach pain; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bloody or watery stools; bone pain; chest pain; confusion; dizziness; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of taste or sense of smell; mental or mood changes (eg, depression); muscle pain or weakness; nightmares; pain, swelling, sores, or white patches in the mouth; purple spots on the skin; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting; severe or persistent stomach pain (with or without nausea or vomiting); stomach cramps; symptoms of kidney problems (eg, not able to pass urine, change in the amount of urine produced, blood in the urine, a big weight gain); symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, pale stools, severe or persistent nausea or loss of appetite); tremor; trouble sleeping; unexplained weight loss; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack:
Store omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using omeprazole/clarithromycin/amoxicillin therapy pack.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about amoxicillin/clarithromycin/omeprazole
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Amoxicillin, clarithromycin, and omeprazole
- Omeprazole, clarithromycin, and amoxicillin (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Omeclamox-Pak