The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets
Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin without vitamin a with minerals, iron, folic acid, and dha (pree-NATE-al MUL-tee-VYE-ta-min/VYE-ta-min A/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: OB Complete Chewable
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets are used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for treating and preventing certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets are a vitamin, mineral, iron, folic acid, and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) combination. It provides vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets, including fish, fish oil, or soybean oil
- you have certain iron metabolism problems (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis) or high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including soybeans, fish, or fish oil)
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis, ulcers) or kidney stones
- if you have blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria thalassemia), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), or a condition that may cause anemia (eg, sickle cell disease, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase [G6PD] deficiency)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, mycophenolate, or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets:
Use OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets are absorbed better on an empty stomach but may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach. Some foods (eg, eggs, whole grain breads, cereal, dairy products, coffee, tea) may decrease the amount of iron absorbed by your body. Talk with your doctor about the best way to take OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Chew OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets well before you swallow it.
- If you take an antacid, an antibiotic, eltrombopag, levothyroxine, methyldopa, or medicine for osteoporosis (eg, alendronate), ask your doctor how you should take it with OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets.
- If you miss a dose of OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets may cause darkened or green stools. This is normal and is not a cause for concern.
- OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets has vitamins, minerals, folic acid, iron and DHA in it. Before you start any new medication, check the label to see if it has any of these ingredients in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets are intended for use during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach cramps, pain, or upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; fever; severe or persistent nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; bluish skin or nails; changes in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; coma; dizziness; dry mouth or eyes; fainting; fast or difficult breathing; fast or irregular heartbeat; flushing; increased thirst or hunger; seizures; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; severe or unusual tiredness or drowsiness; shortness of breath; sluggishness; unusually pale skin; vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds.Proper storage of OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets:
Store OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using OB Complete Chewable chewable tablets.