The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
OB Complete 400
Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin without vitamin a with minerals, iron, folic acid, dha (pree-NATE-al muhl-tee-VYE-ta-min/VYE-ta-min A/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include OB Complete 400 and PreferaOB One
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
OB Complete 400 is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
OB Complete 400 is a vitamin, mineral, iron, folic acid, and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) combination. It works by providing vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use OB Complete 400 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in OB Complete 400
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if this applies to you.
Before using OB Complete 400:
Some medical conditions may interact with OB Complete 400. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including soybeans, fish, or fish oil)
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), pernicious anemia or other blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), peptic ulcer, or kidney stones
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with OB Complete 400. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by OB Complete 400
- Aliskiren, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, captopril), eplerenone, or potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene) because high blood potassium levels may occur
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by OB Complete 400
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, methyldopa, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by OB Complete 400
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if OB Complete 400 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use OB Complete 400:
Use OB Complete 400 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you should take OB Complete 400 with food or on an empty stomach. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take OB Complete 400 by mouth with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take OB Complete 400.
- Avoid taking OB Complete 400 with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in OB Complete 400.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, immune system suppression, low blood platelet levels, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as OB Complete 400; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of OB Complete 400 should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of OB Complete 400, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use OB Complete 400.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use OB Complete 400 unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take OB Complete 400 before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- OB Complete 400 may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- OB Complete 400 has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- OB Complete 400 has pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and folic acid in it. Before you start any medicine, check the label to see if it has pyridoxine or folic acid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Some brands of OB Complete 400 may contain fish oil or soy. If you have had an allergic reaction to fish, fish oil, or soy ask your pharmacist if your brand contains fish oil or soy.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: OB Complete 400 is intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use OB Complete 400, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of OB Complete 400:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of OB Complete 400:
Store OB Complete 400 at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep OB Complete 400 out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about OB Complete 400, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- OB Complete 400 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take OB Complete 400 or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about OB Complete 400. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to OB Complete 400. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using OB Complete 400.