Generic Name: nystatin (nye-STAT-in)
Brand Name: Nystop
Nystop powder is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nystop powder is an antifungal. It works by killing sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use Nystop powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nystop powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nystop powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nystop powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nystop powder. However, no specific interactions with Nystop powder are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Nystop powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nystop powder:
Use Nystop powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Sprinkle enough powder to cover the affected area.
- If Nystop powder is used on the feet, sprinkle Nystop powder freely on the feet and in shoes and socks.
- Do not cover with a bandage or dressing unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Nystop powder.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Nystop powder for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Nystop powder works best if it is used at the same times each day.
- If you miss a dose of Nystop powder, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nystop powder.
Important safety information:
- Nystop powder is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse them right away with cool tap water.
- Be sure to use Nystop powder for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nystop powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nystop powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nystop powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Nystop powder. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, pain, or irritation of the affected area.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Nystop powder may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Nystop powder:
Store Nystop powder at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Avoid temperatures above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nystop powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nystop powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystop powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nystop powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nystop powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nystop powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nystop powder.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Nystop (nystatin topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals