The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: nystatin (nye-STA-tin)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Nystatin Vaginal is used for:
Treating vaginal yeast infections.
Nystatin Vaginal is an antifungal. It works by killing or slowing the growth of sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use Nystatin Vaginal if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nystatin Vaginal
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nystatin Vaginal:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nystatin Vaginal. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nystatin Vaginal. However, no specific interactions with Nystatin Vaginal are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Nystatin Vaginal may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nystatin Vaginal:
Use Nystatin Vaginal as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Nystatin Vaginal. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Nystatin Vaginal if for vaginal use only. Do not take this tablet by mouth.
- Wash your hands before and immediately after using Nystatin Vaginal.
- Use the applicator to insert Nystatin Vaginal high into the vagina.
- Nystatin Vaginal works best if it is used at the same time every day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Nystatin Vaginal for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Continue to use Nystatin Vaginal even during your period.
- If you miss a dose of Nystatin Vaginal, use it as soon as possible. If is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nystatin Vaginal.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before using any douches or other vaginal products while you are using Nystatin Vaginal.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nystatin Vaginal while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Nystatin Vaginal, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nystatin Vaginal:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); vaginal irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Nystatin Vaginal:
Store Nystatin Vaginal at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nystatin Vaginal out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nystatin Vaginal, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystatin Vaginal is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nystatin Vaginal or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nystatin Vaginal. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nystatin Vaginal. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nystatin Vaginal.