Generic Name: Dextromethorphan and Quinidine (deks troe meth OR fan & KWIN i deen)
Brand Name: Nuedexta
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 9, 2019.
Uses of Nuedexta:
- It is used to treat sudden laughing and/or crying that happens without your control.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Nuedexta?
- If you have an allergy to dextromethorphan, quinidine, or any other part of Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine).
- If you are allergic to Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine); any part of Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have ever had any of these health problems when taking Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine), mefloquine, quinidine, or quinine: Bone marrow problems, hepatitis, low platelet count, or lupus.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low potassium or magnesium levels.
- If you have heart block or you have been told that you are at risk for heart block.
- If you have ever had a long QT on ECG or other heartbeat that is not normal.
- If you have heart failure (weak heart).
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Mefloquine, quinidine, or quinine.
- If you are taking any drugs that can cause a certain type of heartbeat that is not normal (prolonged QT interval). There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Nuedexta?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine can cause low platelet levels. Sometimes, very low platelet levels have led to life-threatening or deadly bleeding problems. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Myasthenia gravis may get worse while taking Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine). Call the doctor if signs get worse.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Nuedexta) best taken?
Use Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Signs of lupus like a rash on the cheeks or other body parts, sunburn easy, muscle or joint pain, chest pain or shortness of breath, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Fever or chills.
- Swollen gland.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Low mood (depression).
- Change in eyesight.
- A type of abnormal heartbeat (prolonged QT interval) can happen with Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine). Call your doctor right away if you have a fast heartbeat, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, or if you pass out.
- A severe and sometimes deadly problem called serotonin syndrome may happen if you take Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine) with certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; severe diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or severe headache.
What are some other side effects of Nuedexta?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Throwing up.
- Feeling tired or weak.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Nuedexta?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Nuedexta (dextromethorphan and quinidine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Nuedexta (dextromethorphan / quinidine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 14 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: miscellaneous central nervous system agents
- FDA Alerts (1)
- FDA Approval History