Nonoxynol 9 Foam
Generic Name: Nonoxynol 9 Foam (non OKS i nole nine)
Brand Name: VCF Vaginal Contraceptive
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 10, 2020.
Uses of Nonoxynol 9 Foam:
- It is used to prevent pregnancy.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Nonoxynol 9 Foam?
- If you have an allergy to nonoxynol 9 or any other part of nonoxynol 9 foam.
- If you are allergic to nonoxynol 9 foam; any part of nonoxynol 9 foam; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you or your partner has HIV infection.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not use nonoxynol 9 foam if you are pregnant.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with nonoxynol 9 foam.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take nonoxynol 9 foam with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Nonoxynol 9 Foam?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take nonoxynol 9 foam. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If nonoxynol 9 foam is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking nonoxynol 9 foam, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Nonoxynol 9 Foam) best taken?
Use nonoxynol 9 foam as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take nonoxynol 9 foam by mouth. For vaginal use only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Do not use nonoxynol 9 foam rectally.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- If you want to douche, wait at least 6 hours after last intercourse.
- If used the correct way before you have sex, nonoxynol 9 foam works right away and lasts for up to 1 hour. Use nonoxynol 9 foam again each time you have sex.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Vaginal irritation.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Pain when passing urine.
- Bad-smelling vaginal discharge.
- If your sex partner has irritation of the penis, trouble passing urine, or pain when passing urine.
What are some other side effects of Nonoxynol 9 Foam?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Nonoxynol 9 Foam?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from heat or open flame. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about nonoxynol 9 foam, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about nonoxynol 9 topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- 8 Reviews
- Drug class: spermicides
- FDA Alerts (1)